Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Foreclosures

User Stats

Votes
Chris Kitchens
Votes |
Broker listed as defendant on Lis Pendens?

Chris Kitchens
Posted Jun 6 2024, 09:24

There's an absentee-owner house I've been watching in my neighborhood that recently went into pre-foreclosure. I'm considering reaching out to the owner to make an offer on the house, but I've noticed something weird during my due diligence. On the Lis Pendens for this house, there is a local real estate broker listed as a defendant alongside the homeowner. After searching his name, it turns out he was the developer of the neighborhood.

I was able to locate the release of mortgage from when he sold the lot to the builder, so it seems to me that this is a mistake. Is there any reason that it might not be? 

User Stats

Votes
Tom Gimer
Pro Member
  • DMV
Votes |
Pro Member
  • DMV
Replied Jun 6 2024, 20:35

@Chris Kitchens You need to pull the docket for the lawsuit referenced in the notice of lis pendens. It’s not necessarily a foreclosure case.

Including as a defendant in the lawsuit someone who would likely be a superior lien holder suggests to me there is more going on than a straightforward foreclosure.

Or it could be something simple like an unreleased lien and the court is being asked to quiet title or otherwise weigh in on lien priority.

Let us know how it shakes out.