Buying a Building and Retail Business (Liquor)

Buying a Building and Retail Business (Liquor)

Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 23 votes

Hi all, I am considering purchasing an off-market commercial building in a small tourist town. I am trying to gather as much information and guidance as possible, and appreciate any input that you can provide!

The building consists of two store fronts and a two bedroom apartment. The building was built in the 1800’s and matches the historic architecture of the town’s Main Street. The liquor store inhabits one of the retail spaces and does not pay rent (the building and liquor store are owned by the seller). Rents for the retail space and 2 bedroom apartment have not been raised in over 10 years.

The sellers have owned the building/liquor store since the 70’s and are retiring to move closer to their grandkids. The numbers:

Asking Price: $450,000 including inventory (~$65,000)

Gross Rental Income: $19,200 (2019)

Building Expenses/taxes: $8,211 (no mortgage)

Net Rental Income: $10,989 (2019)

Liquor Store Gross Sales: $471,886 (4 year average)

Liquor Store Net Profit: $124,738 (4 year average)

One of the owners currently acts as the manager of the business at a reduced rate of $20,000/year. The other owner works about 10/hours a week at the register and does not collect pay. Both of these factors would reduce projected profits. I plan to be in the area six months of the year and be involved on a part-time basis. I would hire a manager and keep the current long-term/part-time employees (if they wanted to stay on). Obviously I would need to have excellent systems in place to be able to act as a partial absentee-owner. With the increased labor costs included and the business paying rent to a separate LLC I will create, I am conservatively estimating projected profits to be $75,000 a year for the liquor store. In this model the building gross rents would increase $12,000/year, but keep in mind that there is currently no mortgage payment expense.

I could go on, but I will leave it here for now. Thank you for reading! What are your thoughts?

0Reply
59 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Nat'l Commercial Mtg Lender - Round Rock, TX · Member since 2014 · 916 posts · 235 votes
6y

@Todd Ashley Does the liquor store occupying 51% of the mixed-use property?  Are you trying to also buy the business? You need to buy out the business owners completely and the business would need to occupy 51% or more of the real estate for SBA financing. This is an investment finance deal.

Anyway, if you finance via a seller carry, I highly suggest getting a note servicing company to manage your payments to the seller.  The note servicing company will track your payments, make your annual insurance and tax payments and manage your seller carry note payoff.  Having a note servicing company involved protects you and the seller.

Good Luck in this exciting adventure!

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Insurance Agent · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2014 · 26 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    Hi Todd, 

    Thank you for sharing this great opportunity with all of us. My specialty is in financing so I will speak to that regard. This seems like a business acquisition, if that is correct SBA 7(a) is a good option for a business purchase. With SBA 7(a) a buyer can include real estate purchase, equipment, repairs and working capital into their loan. If you were to use a commercial real estate loan it will most likely only be for the value of the property. With a commercial real estate loan, we would consider the value of the real estate as well as it's cash flow but won't take into consideration the value of the equipment. It does seem there is an opportunity to increase rental income since rents haven't been increased in 10 yrs. I can help with either form of financing.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    @Gage Edwards

    Thanks for the response! That is really helpful info! I believe that initially this would be an owner-financed deal. They would finance it for probably a maximum of five years with a few small balloon payments along the way. That would allow me to have two years of running the business under its new name/LLC before seeking a commercial loan. If I were to go the commercial funding route now, I'm assuming that would require 20-25% down?

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    @Gage Edwards

    I was referring the SBA 7(a) loan when I said “commercial”.

  • Insurance Agent · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2014 · 26 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    Todd, 

    Yes, you are correct. The minimum down payment is between 20%-25%. Owner financing is a good strategy for acquiring real estate or a business. It's something that when used properly is a great solution for both buyer and seller. You can refinance owner financing with SBA or other commercial finance as well. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    @Gage Edwards

    Thanks! Would a loan like this be simpler to execute if I had two years of tax returns showing a profitable business? Also, would having two different LLC's (one for the business and one for the building) complicate the approval process?

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    Anyone on BP that currently or recently has owned a liquor store?

  • Lender · Nat'l Commercial Mtg Lender - Round Rock, TX · Member since 2014 · 916 posts · 235 votes
    6y

    @Todd Ashley Does the liquor store occupying 51% of the mixed-use property?  Are you trying to also buy the business? You need to buy out the business owners completely and the business would need to occupy 51% or more of the real estate for SBA financing. This is an investment finance deal.

    Anyway, if you finance via a seller carry, I highly suggest getting a note servicing company to manage your payments to the seller.  The note servicing company will track your payments, make your annual insurance and tax payments and manage your seller carry note payoff.  Having a note servicing company involved protects you and the seller.

    Good Luck in this exciting adventure!

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    @Karen Schimpf

    Thanks for the Reply Karen! If we are talking sq footage, no, the liquor store does not occupy 50% of the building. The downstairs and upstairs are roughly the same sq footage and the downstairs is split into two commercial spaces. So based on square footage the liquor store takes up about 25%-30% of the building’s sq footage. There is additional storage space in the basement for the liquor store, but I doubt that counts towards this calculation.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    @Karen Schimpf, I am unfamiliar with note servicing companies, although the concept makes total sense. I’m assuming they charge a percentage on the monthly payment? Looks like I need to do a little research on the topic.

  • Lender · Nat'l Commercial Mtg Lender - Round Rock, TX · Member since 2014 · 916 posts · 235 votes
    6y

    @Todd Ashley,  For SBA you would have to buy out the owners and the business must occupy 51% or plus of the square footage of the building. 

    Once you become a partner of the business via seller carry, you might be able to go to your local bank and refinance the whole project in roughly two years, if you, the business and the real estate debt service the mortgage at 1.25. The typical commercial loan is a 5-year fix with a 20-year amortization. Because of COVID 19, lending guidelines are very fluid which means the guidelines today can be different in a couple of weeks or months. 

    Yes, to have a note servicing company manage the payments they take a small percentage but I believe it is so worth it.  You might want to reach out to local Title Companies or Real Estate Attorney and see if they can recommend a local note servicing company. I utilized a note servicing company to manage the payments, taxes, insurance, and late payments of two 16 units I sold in Arizona, I loved it!

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    You need to split the business from the real estate when underwriting. if you subtract inventory, goodwill, and increase a manager salary to market, your rental return looks a lot better. You need to start charging everyone tenant rent as well!

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 23 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ronald Rohde:

    You need to split the business from the real estate when underwriting. if you subtract inventory, goodwill, and increase a manager salary to market, your rental return looks a lot better. You need to start charging everyone tenant rent as well!

    Thanks for the reply! Do you mean the underwriting when I refinance out of owner financing to a commercial loan or from the get-go? I am not sure I fully understand your point on how increasing the manager’s salary, subtracting inventory, etc. will improve the rental returns? 
    Currently the liquor store does not pay rent, but the other commercial space and the apartment tenants do. It would be my plan to have the liquor store LLC pay the rental property LLC $1,000/month rent.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 23 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Karen Schimpf:

    @Todd Ashley,  For SBA you would have to buy out the owners and the business must occupy 51% or plus of the square footage of the building. 

    Once you become a partner of the business via seller carry, you might be able to go to your local bank and refinance the whole project in roughly two years, if you, the business and the real estate debt service the mortgage at 1.25. The typical commercial loan is a 5-year fix with a 20-year amortization. Because of COVID 19, lending guidelines are very fluid which means the guidelines today can be different in a couple of weeks or months. 

    Thanks Karen! Could we maybe dive a little deeper into this? Would the debt service number be split since there are two business here (a commercial building and a liquor store)? Additionally, I don’t really see a way I could get to a situation where the liquor store represents 50% of the building unless there was a major expansion, but than I would lose the rental income from the other commercial space. 

  • Lender · Nat'l Commercial Mtg Lender - Round Rock, TX · Member since 2014 · 916 posts · 235 votes
    6y

    @Todd Ashley My lending sources would require you to buy out the owner's a 100% to purchase the business.  Most SBA deals with real estate are structured that the business is separate from the real estate holding company. so if the business is sued, they can only go after the real estate but the business still occupies at least 51% of the space. 

    For example, many SBA lender's have a hard time lending to a hair salon because many salons rent out the chairs and the lender views the business as not occupying 51% of the space.  If the salon pays the stylist a salary, then the lender views the business occupying the space.

    You could go to your local bank and buy the real estate as an investment.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    @Karen Schimpf

    Thanks Karen, I would definitely plan to have two separate LLC's (one for the building and one for the business) if I was to go through with the purchase.

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Todd Ashley:
    Originally posted by @Ronald Rohde:

    You need to split the business from the real estate when underwriting. if you subtract inventory, goodwill, and increase a manager salary to market, your rental return looks a lot better. You need to start charging everyone tenant rent as well!

    Thanks for the reply! Do you mean the underwriting when I refinance out of owner financing to a commercial loan or from the get-go? I am not sure I fully understand your point on how increasing the manager’s salary, subtracting inventory, etc. will improve the rental returns? 
    Currently the liquor store does not pay rent, but the other commercial space and the apartment tenants do. It would be my plan to have the liquor store LLC pay the rental property LLC $1,000/month rent.

    You need to properly account for true costs and revenues. When people self manage and skip rent, it skews the true NOI as an investment. Your statement about $1k a month is correct, add rent payments and add a management fee.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 23 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ronald Rohde:
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.