What are the best BP episodes about commercial real estate?

What are the best BP episodes about commercial real estate?

Real Estate Broker · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 28 votes

Can the BP community make some recommendations on best Podcast/YouTube videos on commercial real estate?

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Louisville, KY · Member since 2016 · 183 posts · 188 votes
6y

Hey @Mike Parelli,

That's a great question. Although I'm not aware of every piece of commercial investing content out there, here are just a few of the books, YouTube channels and Podcasts that I've found helpful:

Books:

  1. "Multi-Family Millions: How Anyone Can Reposition Apartments for Big Profits" by David Lindhal
  2. "Crushing it in Apartments And Commercial Real Estate: How a Small Investor Can Make It Big" by Brian Murphy
  3. "The Book On Rental Property Investing" by Brandon Turner
  4. "Best Ever Apartment Syndication Book" by Joe Fairless and Theo Hicks
  5. "What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow... And 36 Other Key Financial Measures" by Frank Gallinelli
  6. "Aggressive Tax Avoidance for Real Estate Investors: How to Make Sure You Aren't Paying One More Cent in Taxes Than The Law Requires" by John T. Reed
  7. "Creating Wealth Through Self-Storage" by Mark Helm
  8. "Mastering the Art of Commercial Real Estate Investing"  by Doug Marshall
    "Commercial Mortgages 101: Everything You Need to Know to Create a Winning Loan Request Package" by Michael Rienhardt
  9. "How Real Estate Developers Think" by Peter Hendee Brown

YouTube

  1. Cherif Medawar - Really focuses on Triple-Net investing (Primarily retail)
  2. Mark Helm - Focuses on self-storage facilities (Also has a great book which I mentioned above) 
  3. The Commercial Investor - Generalist. Mainly focuses on Commercial investing strategies and understanding the financials of commercial investing.

Podcasts:

  1. Best Real Estate Advice Ever - Multifamily investing/Syndication
  2. Wheelbarrow Profits - Multifamily investing/Syndication
  3. BiggerPockets - Residential, Multifamily, Self-storage and Mobile home parks.

I'd love to find more resources that talk about investing in other commercial property types such as Retail, Industrial, Office, Hospitality, Special Purpose etc. Hope this helps.

All the best,

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Batavia, IL · Member since 2018 · 452 posts · 672 votes
    6y

    There are some really great podcasts out there dedicated to multifamily investing. Here are a few:

    -Apartment building investing with Michael Blank

    -Joe fairless best ever podcast

    -Jake and Gino

    You will find much more info there compared to BP which tends to focus more on residential.

  • Lender · Hutto, TX · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 60 votes
    6y

    Mike - commercial can encompass a few different asset types. Can you please clarify? Multifamily is just one of several that fall into the commercial category: storage, office, retail, medical, etc.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mountain View, CA · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    I am interested in this topic too. I have been doing SFR in the past. I am interested in learning about retail. Where shall I start? Are there any good books or podcasts you could recommend?

    Thanks in advance.

  • Real Estate Agent · Louisville, KY · Member since 2016 · 183 posts · 188 votes
    6y

    Hey @Mike Parelli,

    That's a great question. Although I'm not aware of every piece of commercial investing content out there, here are just a few of the books, YouTube channels and Podcasts that I've found helpful:

    Books:

    1. "Multi-Family Millions: How Anyone Can Reposition Apartments for Big Profits" by David Lindhal
    2. "Crushing it in Apartments And Commercial Real Estate: How a Small Investor Can Make It Big" by Brian Murphy
    3. "The Book On Rental Property Investing" by Brandon Turner
    4. "Best Ever Apartment Syndication Book" by Joe Fairless and Theo Hicks
    5. "What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow... And 36 Other Key Financial Measures" by Frank Gallinelli
    6. "Aggressive Tax Avoidance for Real Estate Investors: How to Make Sure You Aren't Paying One More Cent in Taxes Than The Law Requires" by John T. Reed
    7. "Creating Wealth Through Self-Storage" by Mark Helm
    8. "Mastering the Art of Commercial Real Estate Investing"  by Doug Marshall
      "Commercial Mortgages 101: Everything You Need to Know to Create a Winning Loan Request Package" by Michael Rienhardt
    9. "How Real Estate Developers Think" by Peter Hendee Brown

    YouTube

    1. Cherif Medawar - Really focuses on Triple-Net investing (Primarily retail)
    2. Mark Helm - Focuses on self-storage facilities (Also has a great book which I mentioned above) 
    3. The Commercial Investor - Generalist. Mainly focuses on Commercial investing strategies and understanding the financials of commercial investing.

    Podcasts:

    1. Best Real Estate Advice Ever - Multifamily investing/Syndication
    2. Wheelbarrow Profits - Multifamily investing/Syndication
    3. BiggerPockets - Residential, Multifamily, Self-storage and Mobile home parks.

    I'd love to find more resources that talk about investing in other commercial property types such as Retail, Industrial, Office, Hospitality, Special Purpose etc. Hope this helps.

    All the best,

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Episode #248 of course!

  • Developer · Portland, OR · Member since 2012 · 55 posts · 40 votes
    6y

    For other podcasts out there, I'd recommend these ones on the commercial side:

    Multifamily

    Old Capital Podcast and The Real Estate Guys

    Development
    Property Developer, Smart Growth Developer Spotlight, Leading Voices in Real Estate, and TBG Real Estate 

    Self Storage
    Atomic Storage/3-mile Domination and Self Storage Show

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    Eve,

    I have 2 podcasts episodes on Bigger Pockets covering retail.

    I would be open to doing a 3rd one that does a really deep dive into commercial retail properties. The first 2 didn't really scratch the surface.

    I am writing a book on retail investing currently and starting a show on it soon.

    There are a few books out there for reading but none that I have seen that go really deep and in detail on the subject.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Mountain View, CA · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Joel Owens

    Thanks for the detailed reply. I found one of your podcasts, episode 40. I agree it is quite basic. BTW, I enjoy reading your posts in other threads. Look forward to your new in depth book and podcast.

    Eve

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.