Newbie Considering Wholesaling a convenience store

Newbie Considering Wholesaling a convenience store

Investor · El Dorado, KS · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 0 votes

I have a close family friend who has owned a family operated convenience store in a small town nearby since the 1980's. 

It started as a partnership and to make a long story short, she's now a widow and the sole owner of a small convenience store. She basically wants to sell it for what she still owes the bank.

She's been trying to sell it for years, but has only done so through local word of mouth and running "for sale" ads in the local paper. She doesn't want to pay a real estate commission, but that's her next step.

I asked her if she had listed it online anyplace, and she hasn't done any online marketing/advertising at all.

So... here's what I am thinking....

I would get some type of option to buy it in writing at her minimum sales price.

I would try to advertise it online via loopnet? or elsewhere and find a buyer who is wanting it, hopefully making a little bit on the deal. If I make anything over $5k I'd split my extra profit with the seller as she is a close family friend. 

I don't know specifics on the business, but it's profitable and the store is in really good condition. She's invested a lot into keeping things up to date as far as the equipment and gas pumps etc go. 

The seller trusts me and I'm sure she would go for the deal. She really just wants to get rid of it and retire...

Anyone have any other ideas/comments/suggestions? 

Anyone know anything about buying and selling convenience stores? 

0Reply
12 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Mark Hall You need to put together a complete package on the business including pictures, financials, tax returns, fixtures, equipment, inventory etc. You can then list on biz buy sell and other sites like Craigslist etc. You do not need a license to sell the business on behalf of the owner but you do need a license to sell the real estate for her.

    Trying to flip a contract will be a stretch as business purchases are a bit more complicated than a standard real estate sale.

  • Greater Philadelphia · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Mark, I sent you a pm. 

    Thanks

  • Wilmington, NC · Member since 2017 · 132 posts · 70 votes
    6y

    You need to make sure there are no issues with underground storage tanks. I've been involved with financing more than one C-store acquisition that went south due to the cost of remediation.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.