Commercial Property in the middle of down town

Commercial Property in the middle of down town

Investor · Roswell, NM · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 12 votes

I've come across a property that has some amazing potential at a great price. Property is located in the middle of down town. Prime location of this area. It currently is zoned C3 and there are two non-profit business's and one for profit. 

The building itself is 2 story, approx 16,000sq/ft, on a corner lot, 3 entrances, elevator, 2 stair wells, and seems to be in decent shape. Asking $150,000. 

I met with the city developer recently and the first thing he asked me what my plans were for the building. (Lesson learned, never go to a meeting without a few strategies). I told him I had three idea. 

1. Turn it into a high end young professional apartment complex 

2. Lease it to a guy I know who wants to open a multi-beer tap bar. leave one of the current business's in place, and use the upstairs as high end execute offices.

3. To see how the city wanted to see the property developed.

His response. He wants to bring more people to the down town area after 5pm. Didn't say much else. He also would answer the million questions I had for him. We exchanged cards and he asked me to email him for further information when it was available.

I know there are a ton of politics involved, but my plan to move forward is this.

Get my architect, contractor, and broker involved in my initial inspection. Get an estimate for repairs, approximate value, and make a proposal with future plans.

I'm gearing this post towards an open discussion because this is advanced investing for me, and I don't know what I don't know. 

1Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Wholetailer & Architect · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 544 posts · 298 votes
9y
Generally people downtown after 5pm means more residential. However depending on how dense and gritty the Downtown is people may not want their bedroom windows near the sidewalk. So you could do retail/restaurant or office space on the ground floor and residential above. If the renovation is extensive you may even add a 3rd floor of residential if the structure can support it. Mixed use can get tricky with zoning and code but may get you the best return. Also see if the city will require a sprinkler system or upgrading sprinklers I agree with the poster above try and make purchase after the permit is in hand but make sure the seller can't back out once you invest all the time and money on permitting.
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Professional · St. John's, Newfoundland · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    It sounds like you've already done so, but be crystal clear regarding what you want to do (ie: have the end-game plan before purchasing) and receive confirmation with your contact at the city that everything falls within the zoning regulations. I've seen countless instances here where people buy property thinking they can do what they want, only to get snagged up because something catches the city's eye AFTER the property has been purchased. 

    If you're changing use, find out if you need any sort of traffic impact study or anything like that. 

    Consider making full city approval a condition of purchase. 

  • Wholetailer & Architect · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 544 posts · 298 votes
    9y
    Generally people downtown after 5pm means more residential. However depending on how dense and gritty the Downtown is people may not want their bedroom windows near the sidewalk. So you could do retail/restaurant or office space on the ground floor and residential above. If the renovation is extensive you may even add a 3rd floor of residential if the structure can support it. Mixed use can get tricky with zoning and code but may get you the best return. Also see if the city will require a sprinkler system or upgrading sprinklers I agree with the poster above try and make purchase after the permit is in hand but make sure the seller can't back out once you invest all the time and money on permitting.
  • Lender · Nat'l Commercial Mtg Lender - Round Rock, TX · Member since 2014 · 916 posts · 235 votes
    9y

    I agree with @Sean Walton and @Brandon Copeland, know what structure you want before you purchase the property and have the permit that will support that structure.  Having a good mix of property user, makes the property well rounded risk.  I suggest doing a feasibility study to make sure that the area is strong enough for your concept.  You could go to the SBDC or Score.  SBDC and Score's services are free to start up and existing businesses.  FYI, you can not get an SBA loan on an commercial property unless your business occupies 51% or more of the building.  Anyway, the SBDC or Score will help you with a FREE feasibility study.

    Lastly, I suggest you talk to lenders about getting financing for the project.  Most commercial lenders will not finance $150,000.00 dollar loan amount. If you live in the area, start with your local banks and credit unions.

  • Professional · St. John's, Newfoundland · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    As a follow up to @Karen Schimpf 's comment on business needing to occupy 51% of the building,  I recently learned that AirBnBs are considered a commercial use by one of my local lenders if you have a business plan to go with it. Get the financing, work the apartments into the build, and if you want to transition out of nightly rentals once you've navigated the waters there is nothing stopping you.

  • Investor · Roswell, NM · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    @Brandon Copeland You're correct I do have and end game, but I'm not crystal clear on how to get there yet. I do appreciate the advice. It seems like I take one step forward then fall, get hit by a bus, and begin at the starting line again. The city planner has changed his answers 3 times now on what they require. I don't think he's being shady, but I actually think he really doesn't know. Since this is my first commercial deal I am way low on 2nd most valuable commodity (Knowledge). I am spending time online and in books trying to figure things out.

    That AirBnBs tip is a genius idea. I'm definitely going to try and fit that into the mix after I get this property under my belt.

    @Sean Walton You are spot one about the sprinkler system. It does need one and I know those don't come cheap. The 3rd floor addition is a great idea. The part of town this building is one of the better parts of the city. It has 3 bars within walking distances, tons of restaurants, and more. I believe its a great location. I've estimated that i can put (6) 2 bedroom apartments on the 3rd floor alone and charge between 1,300 and 1,500 each. That would leave the 1st completely free, or possibly do 6 more on the first floor, and with a 3rd story addition and 6 more units this building could be a real money maker. 

    @Karen Schimpf Thanks for the info on the SBDC or Score. Great tip. I'm currently waiting on a reply. And thank you again for the tip about the SBA loan. It sparked a good tip from Brandon Copeland I"ve also been going back and forth with lenders. I'm still gathering all they requested. Also, I've been working on that permit. Its easier said than done, but slow progress is better than no progress. Thanks for helping with the next few steps forward

    So the city planner has went into black-out drive. Meaning he was extremely motivated to help and excited about my plans the out of nowhere can't be reached or found. He did mention something about another "entity". Could or wouldn't say who it was or give anymore info. Regardless I'm still going to press forward with getting my ducks in a row, so when the opportunity presents itself I'll be able to strike.  

  • Lender · Nat'l Commercial Mtg Lender - Round Rock, TX · Member since 2014 · 916 posts · 235 votes
    9y

    @Joseph Delarosa and @Brandon Copeland,  

    If you are considering AirBnBs, make sure the lender would accept short term rentals in your mixed use loan.  Many lenders would consider AirBnBs to be hospitality lending which is different underwriting guidelines from multifamily/mixed use.

    @Brandon Copeland

  • Professional · St. John's, Newfoundland · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Joseph Delarosa:

    @Brandon Copeland You're correct I do have and end game, but I'm not crystal clear on how to get there yet. I do appreciate the advice. It seems like I take one step forward then fall, get hit by a bus, and begin at the starting line again. The city planner has changed his answers 3 times now on what they require. I don't think he's being shady, but I actually think he really doesn't know. Since this is my first commercial deal I am way low on 2nd most valuable commodity (Knowledge). I am spending time online and in books trying to figure things out.

     Huge red flag IMO, make sure you stay on top of it, or talk to someone else. As mentioned initially, a verbal confirmation is useless if you make application for business permits, renovation permits, or whatever and they don't grant them. If you purchase the building before you get this formally ironed out, you're going to be sitting there making payments while the city takes its time figuring out what it will allow you to do. What's worse is if they decide your planned use isn't allowed.


    Zoning is not rocket science. If you know the zoning, look up your cities regs, and find out what the zoning is. Hell, post them here and I'll take a look. Is what you want to do a clear allowable use? Is it a discretionary use? Big difference in application time, cost, and headache. 

    Don't get stuck holding a vacant property while the city figures it out. Either make the P&S contingent on permits, or get the city to make a decision. Escalate if you need to because that isn't something you play around with.


    Good luck!

  • Wholetailer & Architect · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 544 posts · 298 votes
    9y

    @Joseph Delarosa just to clarify you should talk to a structural engineer. Adding an additional floor is common in California when changing a building's use because often the structural system needs to be brought up to code and as long as you are doing that it often makes sense to add height or area. In Roswell you are in a lower seismic zone it may not make sense or pencil out but it is worth exploring. You would probably need to bring the elevator up to that floor for accessibility too which can add significant cost.

  • Lender · Nat'l Commercial Mtg Lender - Round Rock, TX · Member since 2014 · 916 posts · 235 votes
    9y

    @Joseph Delarosa and @Brandon Copeland, To go SBA, the AirBnBs BUSINESS would need to occupy 51% or more to get financing.  Multifamily lender wouldn't finance because they would view the property as hospitality. 

    I am not saying the structure of the deal is not doable for commercial financing.  

    What most people do not understand is that not all banks lend on all property types and business types.  Underwriting guidelines are different for SBA lending, Multifamily lending and Commercial Lending.  On top of that, banks and lenders have a specific wheelhouse of types of properties/business they will finance. Find a lender that would allow this structure and get rates and terms so you can make your decision.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.