Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Commercial Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Rob Ibarra
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Evans, GA
Votes |
Car Wash Detailing Hack

Rob Ibarra
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Evans, GA
Posted Jul 2 2024, 07:29

Need the BP brains to help me with a Car Wash hack. I'm looking at buying a self-serve car wash and force value / revenue by installing a car port / detail bay for a mobile detailer to be stationed there weekly and offer custom detail services. Has anyone here done that and/or know what I should be charging for booth rent, services, percentage of profits. Any and all advice is appreciated and welcome. Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jul 2 2024, 08:57

Love the self service car wash but not a fan of the detailing bay connected to it. The auto detailing businesses we have worked with either make you drop the vehicle at there place, or it's mobile (usually interior details). I can't see detailers wanting to rent space with a carwash connected. It's an unnecessary expense to operate the business. I think the convivence factor for the customer isn't there. 

User Stats

Votes
Rob Ibarra
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Evans, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Evans, GA
Replied Jul 2 2024, 08:59
Quote from @Jaron Walling:

Love the self service car wash but not a fan of the detailing bay connected to it. The auto detailing businesses we have worked with either make you drop the vehicle at there place, or it's completely mobile. I can't see detailers wanting to rent space with a carwash connected. It's an unnecessary expense to operate the business.

Thank you, love the insight. What would you suggest on improvements and value adds for a self-serve car wash?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jul 2 2024, 09:01
Quote from @Rob Ibarra:

Love the self service car wash but not a fan of the detailing bay connected to it. The auto detailing businesses we have worked with either make you drop the vehicle at there place, or it's completely mobile. I can't see detailers wanting to rent space with a carwash connected. It's an unnecessary expense to operate the business.

Thank you, love the insight. What would you suggest on improvements and value adds for a self-serve car wash?

If the property is big enough you could add vacuum stations. I enjoy washing my car and truck and like the convivence of doing a quick vacuum on my floor mats.  

You could install vending machines. Anything that's quick and easy to purchase when someone is washing a car on a hot day. 

Paint correction and detailing take hours of labor, materials, and a dust free environment. It's never quick and easy. My neighbor details cars and motorcycles as retirement side-hustle. He keeps the customers vehicle for at least 2 days. 

User Stats

Votes
Rob Ibarra
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Evans, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Evans, GA
Replied Jul 2 2024, 09:22
Quote from @Rob Ibarra:

If the property is big enough you could add vacuum stations. I enjoy washing my car and truck and like the convivence of doing a quick vacuum on my floor mats.  

You could install vending machines. Anything that's quick and easy to purchase when someone is washing a car on a hot day. 

Paint correction and detailing take hours of labor, materials, and a dust free environment. It's never quick and easy. My neighbor details cars and motorcycles as retirement side-hustle. He keeps the customers vehicle for at least 2 days. 

Thank you for the insights, awesome information!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Mason
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • California
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • California
ModeratorReplied Jul 2 2024, 18:57
Quote from @Rob Ibarra:

I like the vending machine idea. Remember that junk food isn't the only thing you can fit in a vending machine. The jury is out on if snacks are the best fit for something like this, or stuff that the customers could use to detail their own cars. 

In your shoes OP, I like the vending machines, but I'd keep my mind open. Do some a/b testing. Maybe buy two of them (used). Put snacks and drinks in one. And put overpriced car detailing stuff in the other. 

Disclaimer: this post may or may not have been inspired wholesale from me stealing ideas from a mortgage client (but not a car wash in Georgia, so you are not their competition). :P

If you have the space, a covered "self-serve car detailing port" area isn't crazy. Post a sign limiting them to 6 hours or something, and enforce it (ie, call the tow truck company whose sign you have posted) at 24 hours.

For the self-help detailing products to put in the vending machine, google search "what extra things do i need to detail my car" and read some car detailing guru's list that you should quickly find (if the post has a bunch of upvotes from other car detailing gurus, that's probably a good sign). And mark these mother-truckers up, they are paying for the convenience... providing you aren't somehow preventing them from buying the stuff themselves beforehand (the way movie theaters do), it's not at all immoral. 

My purely hypothetical car wash mortgage client has 3 vending machines full of vastly overpriced car detailing stuff (next to a physical bulletin board showcasing some shiny freshly detailed sexy cars...), and one with snacks at normal vending machine markups (buys either at Costco, or whatever he finds on sale).

GL.

CommLoan Logo

User Stats

Votes
Don Konipol
Pro Member
#1 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied Jul 3 2024, 07:06
Quote from @Rob Ibarra:

Need the BP brains to help me with a Car Wash hack. I'm looking at buying a self-serve car wash and force value / revenue by installing a car port / detail bay for a mobile detailer to be stationed there weekly and offer custom detail services. Has anyone here done that and/or know what I should be charging for booth rent, services, percentage of profits. Any and all advice is appreciated and welcome. Thank you!

A couple of years ago I financed a car wash with four self service bays, two drive through automated bays, and a detailing station.  The whole thing was owner operated, and the detailing accounted for over 50% of the profit. 

I personally think the detailing MAY be a great idea, IF the location of the car wash is on a highly traveled street in a neighborhood with lots of residences within a 2 mile radius. 

Your rental agreement with a detailer is going to depend on the experience, quality and track record of the detailer.  If you rent to someone relatively new in their first ownership venture, the most probable agreement is one calling for a monthly payment with a percentage of the revenue on top.  Of course, the risk of failure/underperformance is high.  With an established, experienced detailer you can expect a monthly rent only, unless you have a location so great that detailers are dying to get in.  

By leasing out the detailing "bay" to a third party detailing business you are still a "passive" investor as you are not operating the detailing with employees. If it cost you say $50k to build out a detailing space and you receive $600 monthly rent double net then you've got a 14% ROI. My gut is you can do better than that. On a small property in a relatively volatile business without credit tenants I would require a minimum 20% ROI. So if it cost $50k to build out I'd be looking for net rental income of $10k annually.