Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Commercial Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Will Bazile
  • Massachusetts
Votes |
Multiple Owner LLCs and Non-profits

Will Bazile
  • Massachusetts
Posted May 29 2024, 21:13

Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out to gather some insights and advice regarding a housing initiative my aunt and I are considering for migrants from third-world countries who are being relocated to the western part of our state. The government has a program in place that covers 70% of the housing costs for approved migrants, leaving the migrants to cover the remaining 30%. Unfortunately, many landlords are hesitant to rent to these migrants due to their circumstances.

Given our personal connection to this issue, my aunt and I believe we can make a positive impact by providing housing for these migrants. We are exploring the idea of hopefully working with the government to establish a system, potentially through the creation of a nonprofit organization. This nonprofit would leverage government payments and seek additional grants to support the initiative.

However, we face a few challenges:

1. **Structure and Legal Framework**: We are unsure about the best way to structure this initiative. Should we start with forming a Multiple Owner LLC and then create a nonprofit? Or is it better to begin with the nonprofit and involve the LLC later?

2. **Knowledge and Resources**: We lack detailed knowledge about Multiple Owner LLCs and the intricacies of setting up a nonprofit. Understanding how these entities can work together to support our cause is crucial.

I am seeking feedback, resources, or any guidance on how to proceed with this plan. If you have experience or knowledge in setting up nonprofits, working with government housing programs, or structuring Multiple Owner LLCs, your input would be invaluable.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I am open to further discussions to refine our approach and make this initiative a reality.

User Stats

Votes
Will Bazile
  • Massachusetts
Votes |
  • Massachusetts
Replied May 29 2024, 22:26
Quote from @Will Bazile:

Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out to gather some insights and advice regarding a housing initiative my aunt and I are considering for migrants from third-world countries who are being relocated to the western part of our state. The government has a program in place that covers 70% of the housing costs for approved migrants, leaving the migrants to cover the remaining 30%. Unfortunately, many landlords are hesitant to rent to these migrants due to their circumstances.

Given our personal connection to this issue, my aunt and I believe we can make a positive impact by providing housing for these migrants. We are exploring the idea of hopefully working with the government to establish a system, potentially through the creation of a nonprofit organization. This nonprofit would leverage government payments and seek additional grants to support the initiative.

However, we face a few challenges:

1. **Structure and Legal Framework**: We are unsure about the best way to structure this initiative. Should we start with forming a Multiple Owner LLC and then create a nonprofit? Or is it better to begin with the nonprofit and involve the LLC later?

2. **Knowledge and Resources**: We lack detailed knowledge about Multiple Owner LLCs and the intricacies of setting up a nonprofit. Understanding how these entities can work together to support our cause is crucial.

I am seeking feedback, resources, or any guidance on how to proceed with this plan. If you have experience or knowledge in setting up nonprofits, working with government housing programs, or structuring Multiple Owner LLCs, your input would be invaluable.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I am open to further discussions to refine our approach and make this initiative a reality.

Another related question, do we even need a nonprofit to receive these possible grants or subsidies from the government?

User Stats

Votes
Jason Wray
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Replied May 29 2024, 22:36

Will,

That's a question that involves a lot of detail and conversation to map out the LLC, Financing, Grants, and percentage of partnership should you decide to acquire more than 5-10 properties.

Feel free to reach out if you want to discuss the scenario and I can try and detail some tips from my experience. Always happy to talk REI!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Will Bazile
  • Massachusetts
Votes |
  • Massachusetts
Replied May 30 2024, 16:19
Quote from @Jason Wray:

Will,

That's a question that involves a lot of detail and conversation to map out the LLC, Financing, Grants, and percentage of partnership should you decide to acquire more than 5-10 properties.

Feel free to reach out if you want to discuss the scenario and I can try and detail some tips from my experience. Always happy to talk REI!

Will be sending an email later today, thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
Replied May 31 2024, 18:29

OP I would work it from the Government side first. Find out what best suits their needs. Sit down with them and lay out your thought process. Get a feel for the Size ($) of the discussion from the LLC or Non profit standpoint.

User Stats

Votes
Will Bazile
  • Massachusetts
Votes |
  • Massachusetts
Replied May 31 2024, 18:57
Quote from @Henry Clark:

OP I would work it from the Government side first. Find out what best suits their needs. Sit down with them and lay out your thought process. Get a feel for the Size ($) of the discussion from the LLC or Non profit standpoint.

Thank you for the feedback. Do you have any advice on how I would go about meeting with the government or getting that tyoe of information? Our vision would be to finance the first initial houses but hopefully receive funding afterward to scale and continue, so how can one figure that out from the government side? 

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
Replied Jun 1 2024, 08:21

You have to do the leg work.

User Stats

Votes
Will Bazile
  • Massachusetts
Votes |
  • Massachusetts
Replied Jun 1 2024, 10:30
Quote from @Henry Clark:

You have to do the leg work.

Understood, thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Gino Barbaro
Pro Member
#1 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St Augustine, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St Augustine, FL
Replied Jun 2 2024, 05:56

@Will Bazile

I would contact an asset protection attorney. We work with Barth Calderon, and if you want an intro, DM me.

Work with a professional who's done it before

Gino