Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Commercial Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Nikolas Engel
  • Investor
  • Pacific Northwest
Votes |
Tenant rejects personal guarantee for option, but accepts for initial lease term.

Nikolas Engel
  • Investor
  • Pacific Northwest
Posted May 16 2024, 16:25

Folks,

I am negotiating an owner-operated restaurant lease and tenant agrees to a personal guarantee for the initial lease term of five years but rejects a guarantee for the two options (five year each). We had not talked about it during the LOI negotiations, the issue popped up during the draft lease review process. Obviously it is in my best interest as LL to have a guarantee in place for the entire lease period, including options.

How would you deal with a situation like this? 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Mason
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • California
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • California
ModeratorReplied May 16 2024, 16:30

That doesn't strike me as too crazy. She or he is themselves an entrepreneur, perhaps their exit plan is to get the business up and running, and then sell it somewhere in that 5-10 year window. 

Of course, it's your property and you have every right to say "no." 

CommLoan Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Rohde
Pro Member
#3 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Replied May 20 2024, 10:12

Its pretty common. If they have been in the location for 5 years paying rent and never defaulting, then I would not require additional PG.

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Nikolas Engel
  • Investor
  • Pacific Northwest
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pacific Northwest
Replied May 20 2024, 14:21

Thank you @Chris Mason and @Ronald Rohde

I see your valid points.
I was thinking from the other way, if tenant is not comfortable with PG then he/she might not trust the strength of their business... But maybe I am overthinking here.

User Stats

Votes
John McKee#5 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
John McKee#5 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Fairfax, VA
Replied May 22 2024, 21:26

They need to personally guarantee the entire lease as long as they are still the owner.  If the restaurant changes hands then the new owners would assume the lease with their own personal guarantee.  

User Stats

Votes
Don Konipol
Pro Member
#2 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Lender
  • The Woodlands, TX
Replied May 27 2024, 09:44
Quote from @Nikolas Engel:

Folks,

I am negotiating an owner-operated restaurant lease and tenant agrees to a personal guarantee for the initial lease term of five years but rejects a guarantee for the two options (five year each). We had not talked about it during the LOI negotiations, the issue popped up during the draft lease review process. Obviously it is in my best interest as LL to have a guarantee in place for the entire lease period, including options.

How would you deal with a situation like this? 

It’s a negotiable point.  You can accept the no personal guarantee but counter with a slightly elevated lease amount, then offer he choice; lower amount with guarantee, higher without 

User Stats

Votes
Nikolas Engel
  • Investor
  • Pacific Northwest
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pacific Northwest
Replied May 28 2024, 13:47

Thank you @John McKee and @Don Konipol

I appreciate your input! We are still negotiating and tenant might accept original terms. 

User Stats

Votes
Joel Owens
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
ModeratorReplied Jun 5 2024, 22:16

Is this tenant first location concept? Is it franchised or mom and pop.

Your lease is meaningless if they go dark quickly. You will then be out attorneys fees, TI, and leasing commissions. You also do not have to accept whatever language they have for assigning. You could still keep them guaranteeing the lease even if they sell the business.

You do not want them selling to joe blow that runs it in the ground and goes dark. You want them on the hook with double guarantee until new owner demonstrates strength as an owner operator tenant. This is especially true when whoever they are selling the business to is weaker or the same strength of guarantee.

If it's someone much stronger then obviously do not need both. Check if their liquidity and net worth is a cash position or mostly retiree funds you can't touch. If they go dark do not plan on getting paid fully for the lease if smaller tenant. Usually best to settle or they file BK and landlord gets very little to nothing.

Have in lease they have do disclose sales quarterly. There are 100 plus other things that go into it. Good luck   

User Stats

Votes
Nikolas Engel
  • Investor
  • Pacific Northwest
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pacific Northwest
Replied Jun 6 2024, 16:24

Thank you @Joel Owens

Great advise. How common is it in commercial leases that tenant discloses sales? My assumption is that all tenants have an interest in keeping their cards close.

User Stats

Votes
Joel Owens
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
ModeratorReplied Jun 6 2024, 16:44

If national investment credit tenant even if sales not disclosed in lease often in their corporate website stock disclosures you can find data average store sales overall and then sometimes per store.

If no credit you need sales disclosures as tenant strength is weaker. Without sales I can't measure how they are performing with rent to sales ratio.

I won't rent to no credit tenants that will not disclose sales. You will have to ask for it anyways if they have trouble and ask for reduction in rent etc. If they disclose quarterly you get tailwind in advance there is trouble and try to get them back on track or know way in advance they won't make it so can start early to line up another tenant. 

User Stats

Votes
Nikolas Engel
  • Investor
  • Pacific Northwest
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pacific Northwest
Replied Jun 6 2024, 17:14

Thanks @Joel Owens, great support from you!

User Stats

Votes
Evan Polaski
Pro Member
#1 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Jun 7 2024, 07:42

@Nikolas Engel, I used to work for a large retail owner/operator.  Monthly sales disclosures were in their form lease.  While this was allowed to be negotiated out, it was more common to have sales reports required on a monthly basis.  Granted, this was over a decade ago, but nationals, regionals, and mom and pops were all reporting sales.  

As Joel notes, it is a great way to monitor tenant health and be prepared for failing tenants ahead of them stopping to pay.