Severing a Side-by-Side Duplex into 2 Properties

Severing a Side-by-Side Duplex into 2 Properties

Rental Property Investor · Ontario, CA (Ontario) · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes

I have an opportunity to purchase a side-by-side duplex (both units are mirror images of each other). Each unit has its own separate driveway, separate utilities, 2 separate street numbers (one deed for the property) and the lot is oversized so there is ample space for each unit. It just shares a party wall. Currently the property is owned by one person who rents both units out. These units, when renovated, would be worth good money if sold as individual homes - Big demand for these types of properties in my area. My question is, what is the likelihood I would be able to "sever" this property and be left with 2 homes so I can sell them off individually? I know municipal laws vary from place to place, but I am curious to hear what some people's experiences are with something similar. 

0Reply
20 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    A 5 minute call to the county zoning could possibly answer your question 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.