How can I, living in Canada, get a mortgage US-notarized?

How can I, living in Canada, get a mortgage US-notarized?

Rental Property Investor · Toronto · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 13 votes

I live in Toronto, Canada. I'm closing on a house in Kansas, USA.

I need to get the closing documents notarized, and it must be a US notary. In normal times I can do it at the US Consulate, but the Consulate is closed until further notice (COVID). Another option I considered is driving to Buffalo, NY to meet a US notary there, but I spoke with US-Customs+Border Patrol and they assured me that I will be denied entry because it's not essential travel.

The only option I can think of is to fly into the closest US airport, but that seems like overkill. Way too much money and time.

I looked into online notarization, but I'm a little bit confused about it, as I saw that Kansas will only add RON (Remote Online Notarization) legislature in January 2022. 

Does anyone know how I can get my documents notarized in a reasonable way, without having to fly to the US?

0Reply
17 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Toronto, Canada · Member since 2021 · 67 posts · 37 votes
    5y

    I am occasionally dealing with Non- RON states in the underwriting process with Canadian investors. 
    The title company gives us the option  to apostille the documents. Canada doesn't have apostille services. The good news is that it has a process that is directly equivalent to the apostille process. The Canadian version of the apostille process is called document authentication and legalization. 

    Check if that will be sufficient 

  • Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 121 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    @Dean Attali This? https://usvirtualnotary.com/service/international-notarization/?gclid=CjwKCAjwruSHBhAtEiwA_qCppo8fk9E6gIE15BuOjQEG_asaHmfMV473d82AUrrgWGSEVgF8539rSRoCzAgQAvD_BwE

  • Lender · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2019 · 175 posts · 82 votes
    5y

    @Dean Attali is it possible there US notaries in Windsor or

    Other major border town, or maybe on of banks that operates in both countries?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.