Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Quincy Jallah
  • Investor
  • East Coast
Votes |
Do I really need a realtor to buy a MFH in DC?

Quincy Jallah
  • Investor
  • East Coast
Posted Dec 3 2020, 10:27

I am looking to purchase my third property under the house hacking model. This place is in Washington DC and I've lived in the are for a few years. 

I have been slogging through lenders and I have finally found two companies that can cater to the type of mortgage and funding that I need. I am expecting a pre-approval letter today. Luckily there are 3 properties currently available that I would be happy to match the listing price with an offer today.

About me: I own a SFH And (2) multifamily properties that I used realtors to buy. I have the energy to do the legwork on closing this deal and the acumen to at least research things I'm not intimately familiar with (legal training outside of real estate). I'm not an expert but I'm eager to learn and I am capable of actual legal research beyond google. The only reason I am considering this is to save the seller money in the hopes that my offer will be more enticing. I understand I will have to deal with the seller's agent, title company, lender, and district assessor's office (deed work). It's my first post so forgive me if I'm unclear or crass. Posting this in multiple forums.

Question: What am I missing? Given the very brief overview, are you cautious about foregoing a realtor in my buying process? Interested on your thoughts.

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
Agent
Pro Member
#1 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
#1 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied Dec 3 2020, 10:37

Why would you go unrepresented if the seller paying the commission for the realtors? If it's off market than I understand not using one. If the realtor is a rock star use them again

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Dec 3 2020, 10:52

Do you know if the multifamilies you are looking at are legal? What type of financing are you using? If it is FHA, do the properties meet the FHA self sufficiency test? Do you know how to go through the TOPA approval process?

Only 200 multis trade per year in the entire metro area.  Most agents dont even know what they are doing when it comes to multifamily.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Quincy Jallah
  • Investor
  • East Coast
Votes |
  • Investor
  • East Coast
Replied Dec 3 2020, 19:08

@Caleb I'm at the top of my budget and need to cut costs. The fact that the commission comes from the seller is exactly why I'm doing this. The market is booming here and I need to stand out with my offer. The seller will see the savings of not paying a buyer's agent and hopefully deal with me. I'm obviously hoping I won't be creating a headache for the seller as I navigate the closing process alone. (Not my first but it is my first unaided)

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Dec 3 2020, 19:22
Originally posted by @Quincy Jallah:

@Caleb I'm at the top of my budget and need to cut costs. The fact that the commission comes from the seller is exactly why I'm doing this. The market is booming here and I need to stand out with my offer. The seller will see the savings of not paying a buyer's agent and hopefully deal with me. I'm obviously hoping I won't be creating a headache for the seller as I navigate the closing process alone. (Not my first but it is my first unaided)

There is no commission savings for the seller. The entirety of the commission belongs to the listing agent. When a buyer has a buyers agent, the listing agent will share a portion of their commission with the buyers agent typically to help faciliate the sale of the property. (though not always)

User Stats

Votes
Quincy Jallah
  • Investor
  • East Coast
Votes |
  • Investor
  • East Coast
Replied Dec 3 2020, 23:38
Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:
Originally posted by @Quincy Jallah:

There is no commission savings for the seller. The entirety of the commission belongs to the listing agent. When a buyer has a buyers agent, the listing agent will share a portion of their commission with the buyers agent typically to help faciliate the sale of the property. (though not always)

I didn't know as much as I thought I did. Thank you for that nugget. What do you reckon happens when the buyer's agent doesn't get a split. I'm certain it's rare.