How do I wholesale this out-of-state deal?

How do I wholesale this out-of-state deal?

Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2010 · 7 posts · 3 votes

Okay, story time:

I live in the LA area and know a fellow Angelino who has a property in Kansas City, MO. This gentleman's house isn't renting and he tells me how much of a burden it is. I check out the place on Google Maps and do a quick free Realquest search. Estimated ARV is $44,000.

Owner says it can be easily repaired for $2,500. I believe so too because the repairs he's describing are minimal. The windows are boarded up but still have in-tact windows throughout, place needs a new water heater, floors may need rebuffing. Really basic stuff.

It's kind of in a rough neighborhood so he agrees that he'd let it go for $27,300 (factors in repairs and my share). Great! Priced to fly, right? Well, trouble is, I'm in LA and so is he. I know where/how to market it but once someone accepts, how do him and I close with the buyer if we're not able to be present at escrow in Missouri? Also, what do you think of the numbers?

Sorry if this seems too basic of a question but I'm not familiar with the process and I'll continue to be ignorant if I never ask. I’m very curious how one deals with this situation. I’m eager to learn and I’d like to close this deal ASAP. What do you think?

1Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
13y

I think I just responded to this question on Reddit about 30 seconds ago, but here it is again... :)

You don't need to be present to close on a real estate transaction. The title company (or closing attorney) can email/mail you the docs, you sign them in front of a notary and overnight them back. That's it.

Now, as for the rest of it -- finding buyers, getting them access to the property, etc. -- that's a bit tougher. But, it sounds like you're comfortable with that part of it.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Accountant · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 68 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Hey Christopher - I live in KC, just curious what neighborhood is this in?

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    13y

    I think I just responded to this question on Reddit about 30 seconds ago, but here it is again... :)

    You don't need to be present to close on a real estate transaction. The title company (or closing attorney) can email/mail you the docs, you sign them in front of a notary and overnight them back. That's it.

    Now, as for the rest of it -- finding buyers, getting them access to the property, etc. -- that's a bit tougher. But, it sounds like you're comfortable with that part of it.

  • Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2010 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    13y

    Hi Shelby Reed,

    The property is in zip code 64130.

    [b]ARV: $44,000
    Repairs: $2,500
    Price: $27,300[/b]

    Pretty solid deal. Everyone has been telling me, including fellow Redditor J Scott, that I don't need to be present at the closing. Now, I feel confident to go ahead and market this to a buyer. It'll be a fun learning experience.

  • Real Estate Broker · Leawood, KS · Member since 2013 · 150 posts · 23 votes
    13y

    @Christopher just a heads up I am very familiar with that area....I would say its a C- area. Good for Cash flow, not much of a market for resale or appreciation. As long as that's what your after then I would say do it. You also may want to look in setting up section 8 since that area has a lot of them.

    Find a good property manager!

    Good luck!
    Ray

  • Accountant · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 68 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    I agree with what Ray mentioned above. Do you plan on renting for cash flow? Or are you intending to wholesale?

  • Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2010 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    13y

    Hi Ray Orellano. The owner let me know that the area wasn't all that awesome which allowed me to negotiate a decent price for it.

    Shelby Reed I intend to wholesale this property. The owner is very tired of it. Dealing with the property from out-of-state makes it more painful for him.

    ARV: $44,000
    Repairs: $2,500
    Price: $27,300

  • Accountant · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 68 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Cool, good to hear your closing process shouldn't be too painful (being from out of state). Please keep us posted!

  • Investor · Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2013 · 82 posts · 12 votes
    13y
    Christopher Arias -Did you ever find a buyer for this property? I invest in that area and would be interested in it.
  • Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2010 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    13y

    Brady Hanna, would you be so kind as to message me your number? I'd love to get in touch and talk about this property.

  • Investor · Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2013 · 82 posts · 12 votes
    13y
    Christopher Arias - I sent you my email and realized I left off my phone #. Send me a message back and I will reply with my #. (I can't PM unless you have accepted my colleague request). Thanks!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.