Dodged a foreclosure bullet of surviving lien, can the deal work?

Dodged a foreclosure bullet of surviving lien, can the deal work?

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 157 posts · 83 votes

A little background: 

September 2019, while driving for dollars I noticed a run down house with papers on the windows, obviously headed to foreclosure. During my research and after hiring an attorney to do a title search we figure out that a $25k HELOC is causing the foreclosure, but an older mortgage of unknown balance would survive.

November, house sells at auction. Bidding started @ $12000 and finally sold at $80000. Needs lots of work, but ARV is @$200k. So many months go by and it never gets fixed up and ownership does not change on tax records. So today I contact the register of deeds and see that the winning bidder defaulted on their bid, lost their $6000 deposit, and the property is back for sale.

I contact the "trustee," a big law firm, and they won't tell me a straight answer about what they plan to do with the property or when they will do it.  I skip traced the winning bidder and he says he thinks the bank was coming after him for $50k additional money to get a clear title and satisfy the older surviving mortgage. 

Point being, is there any way to get the bank to sell straight to me in order to avoid going to auction again and potentially having another defaulting bid? The HELOC and phantom mortgage were both with Wachovia (now Wells Fargo), but of course they could have been bundled and sold as a MBS ten times by now. I know to some worker bee at the bank this property is just a column on a spread sheet, but it seems like it could be a win/win. Any advice is appreciated!

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
5y

The bank doesn’t own it, the borrower does, so the bank can’t sell it to you.  Track him down or wait for the next foreclosure auction.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y

    The bank doesn’t own it, the borrower does, so the bank can’t sell it to you.  Track him down or wait for the next foreclosure auction.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 157 posts · 83 votes
    5y

    @Wayne Brooks Sorry, forgot to mention previous owner is dead, wife is dead, kids are MIA and I can't find them.  Neighbors say one child is in Florida (doesn't it seem like one missing sibling always ends up in Florida??) and the other is dead.   Kinda depressing, but I tried hard to buy it from them before it went to auction the first time. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Matt W.:

    @Wayne Brooks Sorry, forgot to mention previous owner is dead, wife is dead, kids are MIA and I can't find them.  Neighbors say one child is in Florida (doesn't it seem like one missing sibling always ends up in Florida??) and the other is dead.   Kinda depressing, but I tried hard to buy it from them before it went to auction the first time.

    zombie..  chance of buying the note are slim and none..  good luck with it.

  • Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Matt W.:

    @Wayne Brooks Sorry, forgot to mention previous owner is dead, wife is dead, kids are MIA and I can't find them.  Neighbors say one child is in Florida (doesn't it seem like one missing sibling always ends up in Florida??) and the other is dead.   Kinda depressing, but I tried hard to buy it from them before it went to auction the first time. 

    Unless there was a probate set up with a will conveying ownership to the heirs, then the only choice the bank has is to foreclose. If it's with Wells Fargo I highly doubt they will sell you the note

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.