To over pay or not for a property

To over pay or not for a property

Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 1 vote

I looked at a property that is very unique but they are asking 50k over the price. The property is actually two properties together. It is a tiny home in the back with a huge lot and a commercial store of 200sqft on the front on a very busy street. I think it has potential if I add a mother in lawsuit in the back. The property is distress, very outdated and the house itself is very tiny. I looked in the city records and they assess the property for 500k but the owner is asking 550k. I did the mistake to overpay for my current property and I don't want to make the same bad business decision. I lived in a very "trendy area" in downtown Denver and I don't know if I am letting go of a good opportunity. I ran the numbers to buy it as a rental investment and I would lose money but I am not sure if turning it in my primary home and adding the mother in-lawsuit it might make it worth it. Can someone give me any advice, should I make the offer for 550k? or should I wait? Thanks!

0Reply
17 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    6y

    You can't determine what the price should be from the last assessment. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    How I can determine the price, then?

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Are you working with an agent? He/she should be offering you this advice. What the property is assessed for should not be used to determine investment decisions regarding offer price. You need to look at comps and income/expenses to determine a price you are comfortable with. 

    I think I know the property you are talking about as I was looking at it for a client. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.