Solid Equity vs Appraised Equity

Solid Equity vs Appraised Equity

Member since 2020 · 101 posts · 32 votes

I’ve read a few books and seen endless YouTube videos on equity but I wanted to know if there is a different name for certain types of equity.  If there are, I must have overlooked them. Let me explain 

I bought my house at $245K and paid it down to $222K giving me $23K in what I’ve named “Solid Equity” because it’s backed by actual payments.

My house is now worth $310K which gives me $88K in Equity which I’ve named “Appraised Equity” because it’s based on the property value.

Is there a name for these types of equity?   How dangerous is it to invest using “Appraised Equity” if the market goes down and your house is upside down?

Does it even matter?

0Reply
11 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2018 · 974 posts · 645 votes
    6y

    Hi @Ibrahim Yamini! There is no difference in the two that I know of... but you are right to be careful. The appraised equity is what the banks will go on to give you a HELOC or Refinance. It is rare (although you can find them) to get banks to lend on more than 90% of the appraised value of your home so you are inherently protected somewhat already. Using your example: Home is worth $310K, you owe $222. You have 28% equity. Typically you can get a HELOC for 80% LTV. So you'd be able to get a HELOC for $26K = (80% * $310K = $248K - $222K) So if the market goes down, you'd still (more than likley) be able to sell your home and pay off your mortgage (and HELOC).

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.