What hidden value features to look for in a SFR property listing?

What hidden value features to look for in a SFR property listing?

Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 44 posts · 33 votes

Hi everyone! I just started the search for my first property to house hack in, likely a SFR with opportunities to create value from hidden features (e.g., large lot for an ADU, "bonus" bedroom, alleyway for separate entrance, etc.) It's a pretty meticulous process to browse through the listings available on Redfin, Zillow, the MLS feed my realtor sends me, etc to find the "diamond in the rough", or at least identify potential candidates for a house hacking investment vs. deals I shouldn't even look at.

What makes it more challenging is when there are no or bad pictures, the bedroom/bathroom count doesn't match the count in the description, how the bed/baths are separated (and if there's a way to make a part of the house separate studio), and when I can't identify how large the lot in the back is. If I really wanted to be meticulous, I would contact the realtor and ask these questions, drive to the house myself to see the property, etc, but I can't do this for every single property and it would take a ton of time. 

So then I find myself getting drawn to property listings with almost click baity descriptions like "excellent investment opportunity for cashflow", and key words like "bonus/optional room", "opportunity for an ADU / JADU / granny flat". In a way, I place a lot of weight on the descriptions on these listings to help me quickly do a first pass and differentiate an average property from one with potential. I'm not sure if this is a good way to do that initial pass / filter on potential properties.

I was just wondering how you seek out properties that you can identify as opportunities to create additional value. Are there features in the photos of the property that you look for? Maybe a weird crowded layout with a closed off kitchen and dining room that you can knock down the wall and create an open space layout? Ugly, outdated paint and cabinets and flooring that could be a quick cosmetic fix? Garages with room for ADU to be constructed on top? Are there particular key words that you scan for in the description that may pique your interest?

Definitely a very broad (and personal) question but I was wondering what people look for besides the ones I mentioned above, specifically to house hack and increase the value of the home.

0Reply
27 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Omaha, NE · Member since 2020 · 611 posts · 665 votes
    6y

    I recently came across a single family home with two kitchens, one on the main floor and one on the second floor. Sometimes the right house hack is that obvious. 

    You could also narrow your search to specifically multi-family properties and commit to visiting every one that lists in your price range. That might narrow the time commitment but also reduce the diamond-in-the-rough possibilities.

    Depending on your financial situation, you might consider identifying more properties to view, and posting an advertisement on Craigslist for someone to do a virtual tour of a house and send you the video.

    In our case, we bought our first house out-of-state, sight unseen. The realtor we worked with was willing to go to a house and give us her opinion. You might consider seeing if you can find a real estate agent who will do that for you.

    As long as you reward the agent, she will work hard for you. Best of luck on your hunt!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.