To add bottom level unit or buy another property

To add bottom level unit or buy another property

CA · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes

For the past 5 years I've pondered whether or not to raise one of my SFH to add another unit or take my money/equity and buy another property. I've now been seriously considering raising the property to add another unit and I'm now in a good financial situation to do so. A bit of context on the house: It's located in downtown Sacramento, built 1910, 1250 sq ft, 3/2, zoned to become a duplex, and in good condition. Now that I have other properties with built up equity along with some money set aside, I'm at a junction on whether I raise the house and add another unit underneath or take the equity/cash saved and buy something else to add to my portfolio. I'm not considering selling it because I'm optimistic that the area still has above average growth based on what I'm seeing. My goal is to hold on to it for the long term to increase my portfolio and cash flow.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what the best decision is to maximize my ROI and make the best decision with this economic climate, either raise the house or buy another BRRRR property. I know there's more of a risk for a project this size but feel like it'd be a good next step in my investing career based on my other smaller rehab experiences. The numbers I've been able to crunch for the project are as follows:

  • About 200k~ for the project (170k~ if I GC it myself after it was raised and framed)
  • Conservatively would not be done for 12 months (lose out on 24k annual rent on the current rent)
  • Based the after project refinance I'd get at least my money back for the project and as high as 100k extra(this is using current market comparables in the area) at a 70% LTV
  • After the project is done, refinanced (at about 4.5% [guesstimate]), rented, and monthly expenses are taken into account I’d be netting an extra $1000. (not counting what I am already getting today which would still be coming in too)

I want to mention that like other people I'm not totally confident with where the market is headed in its current state with Covid. I'm also hesitant with doing another BRRRR on a larger property right now because it something changes with the market I might not be able to get my money out after rehab, whereas my SFH has enough equity to pad any market correction.

Let me know what I am missing, how I can run the numbers to make a better decision, or what you’d do?  Thanks

0Reply
36 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @John Dempsey from the sound of that project, I don't think it makes sense to add another unit. I would just buy something else. There is a LOT more risk in that sized construction project versus picking up a new property. 

  • Whitney HuttenPro Member
    Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @John Dempsey I'd agree. I like rehabs with short timelines right now. Have you run this in the BP calculator as a BRRRR to see what it would look like???

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    Raising a house and adding a basement is a lot of work and you will have to do updates to the electrical and plumbing and are assuming the house can be lifted.  Also look into the other costs.  Property taxes, garbage and utilities will increase (last two could double).

    Could you build a second unit on the property (a garage with an apartment on top)?  

  • Real Estate Agent · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2012 · 111 posts · 26 votes
    6y

    Is there room on the lot to do an ADU?

  • CA · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Thanks for everyones feedback.  I'mg gonna consider the advice along with running the numbers.  As you all had mentioned the project is fairly intense with many unknowns that may pop up.  

    Also, the lot is small so there is no room to add a separate detached ADU. The place is cash flowing pretty well so I may just keep things where they're at for now. Thanks all!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.