Being your own realtor without Brokerage affiliation in Florida?

Being your own realtor without Brokerage affiliation in Florida?

Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 1 vote

Hello all, my husband and I are looking to purchase investment properties in the not too distant future as well as buying a new home. Since I currently have a great deal of time on my hands, I am willing to take the realtor exam and get my license. Yet I have no desire to be affiliated a brokerage firm or sell properties. I would only do this to be our own realtor. Can I be my own realtor in Florida, specifically the Miami area and NOT be affiliated to a Brokerage firm? Would I have access to the MLS just because I get my license or does access only come when affiliated with a brokerage firm? Can you have access to MLS independently? I'm guessing there would be some fees involved, can anyone shed some light?

Thank you in advance,

A Alen-Martinez

1Reply
24 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Angela Alen-Martinez

    I’m pretty sure that’s impossible. Agents work for brokers. All brokered transactions are broker to broker

    Basically, real estate is probably the only field to have two levels of licensure ( I haven’t heard of another). So, an agent license is not sufficient to “hang your own shingle.”

  • David NilesBusiness Member
    Property Manager · DeLand FL · Member since 2012 · 860 posts · 243 votes
    6y

    No, your license has to be hung with a brokerage.  Your best to look around and try and find one that works with investor / agents to save office fees etc. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Miami, FL · Member since 2018 · 236 posts · 99 votes
    6y

    @Angela Alen-Martinez if you decide to be an active real estate agent with full access to the MLS you will need to hang your license with a brokerage firm and then join an association who will then provide you access to the MLS. There are many free websites that are linked to the MLS such as zillow, realtor.com, etc just in case you do not want to go through the licensing process.

  • Investor · Broward County, FL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 938 votes
    6y

    @Angela Alen-Martinez

    You would need a brokerage. A brokerage needs a broker’s license for the principal. You can obtain a broker’s license after a minimum of two years as a licensed real estate sales agent experience under a broker and passing a brokers exam.

    So yes you could eventually be your own broker in your own brokerage, but it will take at least two years of work experience and a lot of overhead fee for your brokerage to be compliant.

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Thank you all for taking the time to reply, I greatly appreciate your time and honesty.

    @Mike S.

    @Mike S.@Mike S.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.