Water meter question

Water meter question

McKinney, TX · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 4 votes

Good afternoon everyone, 

I have a question regarding water metering.  I'm in the diligence period on a duplex and it looks like the previous owner payed for the water despite there being two meters.  Looking at water bill, it looked like one meter was disconnected and the other was used to for both units.  Here was the message from the seller:

There are two bills each month because there are two meters. One is disconnected so the charge is always around $39. The disconnection happened before I bought the property so I have no detail around it. The new owner may consider reconnecting it so the tenants pay their own water. I never got around to doing that. The other thing they could do is request that the meter be removed or taken out of service in order to drop the $39 charge.

My questions are:

  1. 1. How can one meter be used for 2 units?
  2. 2. Since it already has 2 meters, it seems like it would be easy enough to make the tenant pay for water by reconnecting both meters.  How much would cost me?  Is this as simple as talking to the city to enable it?  Would contractors be necessary?
  3. 3.  Anything else I'm missing?

Thank you for your help.

0Reply
23 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Westchester, NY · Member since 2014 · 96 posts · 57 votes
    6y

    Regarding question 1,  one meter can support any number of units.  As you stated, the owner is paying the water meter it just one water reading for all units.  Regarding item 2 and 3, you would only be able to transfer the responsibility for tenants to pay for water usage at the end of their lease term with a new lease or amendment to a lease assigned to you via purchase. If there is a water meter on site already and it supported by the water company most likely you could call them directly to hook it back up and any fees would be local to the company.  

  • McKinney, TX · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Michael Gilman, thank you!  I was hoping that was the answer.  I'll call the city on Monday and see what the fees would be to reconnect the second meter.  Looking at the water bill, the previous owner likely lost money each month just because he paid for water rather than connecting both meters with likely a simple phone call!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.