Disregarding the 1% rule?

Disregarding the 1% rule?

Member since 2019 · 219 posts · 99 votes

I'm looking at property in the state of Oregon, which has had amazing appreciation but poor (starting) cashflow. Basically the only properties I have found that break 1% are in rural areas, or dumps, or both.

I'm looking specifically at fourplexes to owner-occupy, and at best I've found something that hit 0.8% so far, but most hover between 0.6-0.7%. I'm wondering if it would be a poor investment to disregard the 1% rule in this case? I'd like to start accumulating properties in my area (by owner occupying, then moving out a year later), but only if it makes sense financially.

Basically, I want to know if:

1) Is it sound strategy to ignore the 1% rule in areas with high appreciation, and

2) Is it alright to ignore the 1% rule for fourplexes? (1 roof, lower costs, etc).

2Reply
72 views

Most Popular Reply

Joseph CacciapagliaBusiness Member
Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

When I started investing, I was way too focused on cash flow, and it led me to less than desirable markets and assets. I was cash flowing fine, but not building any real wealth. It took me longer than it should have, but I finally learned from my more successful clients. Most of them disregard the 1% rule. They're looking for properties with strong rent growth and appreciation. Areas like that don't usually provide great cash flow day one, but often have a higher total return over your hold period. They also tend to cash flow very well in years 3+. In my market, you usually see those properties sell closer to 0.8%. If you look at where your returns come from, cash flow usually makes up a small percentage of the total return. By forcing every deal to hit an arbitrary cash flow hurdle, you inadvertently rule out some of the better investments. 

Joseph Cacciapaglia powered by Morty
See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Tyler D'Alessandro

    Well yes and no. If you’re shooting for an equity play then you can ignore the 1% rule but I wouldn’t be buying negative cash flowing properties hoping they appreciate higher than your loss. That’s a recipe for disaster. If you’re shooting for cash flow, then try to get 1% if not higher.

  • Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2019 · 130 posts · 139 votes
    6y

    @Joseph Cacciapaglia Hello Joseph, wanted to follow up on your post on this topic. When you mention that the higher returns in these types of properties are usually after year 3 is this due to value add and stabilization of the property that has occurred within these first few years? I am assuming these assets are already in good B class neighborhoods. Also, is there a particular year built range that yourself and your clients generally stay around? Thanks for your input. 

  • Joseph CacciapagliaBusiness Member
    Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Satyam Mistry:

    @Joseph Cacciapaglia Hello Joseph, wanted to follow up on your post on this topic. When you mention that the higher returns in these types of properties are usually after year 3 is this due to value add and stabilization of the property that has occurred within these first few years? I am assuming these assets are already in good B class neighborhoods. Also, is there a particular year built range that yourself and your clients generally stay around? Thanks for your input. 

     The higher cash flow in the future comes primarily from rent growth. The areas with the lower rent to price ratios tend to have stronger rent growth and appreciation. So you need to hold those assets a little longer to get strong cash flow. I've often done better with properties that have very little cash flow day 1, but were in great areas, than I've done with properties that were 1%+, but in less desirable areas. That's because it doesn't take many years of strong rent growth to overcome the initial deficit, and then in each future year you continue to outperform.

    This strategy often appeals to investors with very long investment horizons. Therefore, they're often buying properties build in the last 10-20 years. There are certainly exceptions though.

    Joseph Cacciapaglia powered by Morty
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.