Structuring seller financed deal

Structuring seller financed deal

Contractor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 5 votes

Hello, I have a bit of a unique situation. My next door neighbor has to move unexpectedly into his mother’s house who passed away. He is going to sell his house for cheap, needs tons of work, but it’s almost too good of a deal to pass up. 

I have money set aside for purchasing my own single family home soon, which I’d like to avoid tying up. I haven’t been able to get a loan for his house conventionally or through a private lender. 

He will likely sell me the house for $10-15k, the rehab will cost $40k or so. I plan to put a roof on the house immediately for around $9k. I’d like to get the roof on and the water damaged portions of the house gutted, then chip away at the rest of the repairs over the next year or two as I get more cash flow.

I may propose a seller financed deal where I give him a down payment of $5k or so, then pay the rest off over two or three years. He may be able to get more for the house, but he is motivated to sell, he likes me, and would like me to buy the house if we can work out a deal.

Any comments or advice? Is there a good way I can pitch this scenario to him? Is there a better way to do it or any other ideas people have? Thanks!!

0Reply
23 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I would first ask him what is looking for. Does he need cash or is he ok with payments? After you talk with him to get more information, If he is ok with payments go home and figure out what you want to offer him and with what terms. Have the numbers ready for him that same day so that he knows you are serious. 

    If he is ok, I would offer low down and pay off within about 3 years. Get it to livable conditions and move in. Maybe get the roof, a/c and heater working and a bathroom done up first. Then you can finish the rest of the house over the next year or two while living there for under $500 per month.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.