New Investor needing advice in this unknown market

New Investor needing advice in this unknown market

SW Missouri · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes

I am a 29 year old new investor that has done a couple of live in flips and 1 pure flip.  However, I was changing my strategy to long term buy and hold for more passive cash flow and I was about to go under contract on a property last week right before all the crap really hit the fan.  The property is a 4 plex that would cash flow 900 a month with potential for more when rents are brought closer to market.  However, with governments now suspending rent and mortgage payments around the world and American politicians calling for the same I am very hesitant to buy anything.

Interesting Article about suspending mortgage and rent

I could make the mortgage payments if a tenant was not to pay, but I couldn't make them if all 4 tenants didn't pay because the government told them they didn't have to!  I do have a decent emergency fund however, in these unknown times I would hate to have to dip into it and it could be depleted in less then a year if my renters didn't even have to pay.  Even if the government doesn't suspend rent payments I am also concerned with how many tenants will lose their jobs and not be able to make rent.  These properties are not luxury by any means so if it was like 2008 I think I could still keep renters in their with lowering rents just a bit. Personally, I think it may be worse then 2008 though.  I know the sellers are motivated as one is in bad health so I am thinking I can get it lower then what I originally though. Here are my current thoughts:  I think I wait it out for a couple of weeks and if they sell before then I can live with that.  If not, and I am comfortable with where the market is at I will put a lower offer to ease my mind. I think if I frame it around not knowing what is going to happen will possible get them to accept because they need to sell.   

What is your advice?  If rent payments get suspended do you that will include mortgage payments for landlords as well?   Do you agree with the arguments in the article? 

0Reply
17 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Lots of speculation here, but if rents are suspended, common sense would tell you that mortgage payments would have to be suspended as well, right? Not that I expect any type of common sense out of any politicians. The challenge here is that, if this were to come to pass, moratoriums on rent would most likely be passes at the local level, which has absolutely no bearing on a moratorium on mortgage payments, which would need to occur at the federal level. 

    Honestly, if mortgage payments were suspended at the federal level, that would be a pretty solid indicator that we are in the early stages of the apocalypse and you won't need to worry about money or rent for much longer. 

  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    Sellers will become more motivated, especially if a downturn follows the virus hysteria, but that doesn't mean deals we are working on now are bad. How you can carry any investment over the depression is always how you win. So if this is a good deal and you can get it through even if some tenants resist or lose their job, how nice do you think it will look on the other end when things pick up? I haven't stalled any deals I've been working on, I just haven't been looking in the field until it all dies down.

  • Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2019 · 956 posts · 600 votes
    6y

    If it’s a good deal and you have a way you get to the other side of a small pause in payment I’d go for it. I would be VERY surprised if you couldn’t get tenants in place/tenant payment for a year. Worst case you could just lower rents a bit to get some income and then you won’t be hit with the whole burden.

    I’m thankful that mortgages/purchase price is so low in my market that I and the investors I know won’t like a pause in payment even on several properties.. but we’ll be able to handle it. The best returns here are on properties that are around 75k, so you’re looking at a mortgage of around ~$300/month. If you factor other expenses you’re at around $200 more you're looking at a pretty manageable temporary debt. We can handle that for a few months, but I doubt it will come to that.

  • SW Missouri · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Thank you all for the responses.  I will consider all of your advice! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.