Just finished my first multifamily deal in Upsate NY

Just finished my first multifamily deal in Upsate NY

Property Manager · Upstate NY · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 9 votes

Closed an owner financing deal. 3 unit and 2 unit multifamily homes. Rented and cash flowing for $43,000 for both. $80,000 appraised value after sale. After listening to the bigger pockets podcast I figured I would approach owner financing and my offer was accepted immediately. Ready for the next opportunity! 

3Reply
54 views

Most Popular Reply

Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 28 votes
6y

@Jeff Jansen another deal already? That is awesome! Keep it up.

See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 925 votes
    6y

    @Jeff Jansen congratulations! What are you looking for next ?

  • Property Manager · Upstate NY · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Lucia Rushton Thank you! Probably staying in the same market until I get a little more experience under my belt 

  • Lender · Fairfield, CT · Member since 2018 · 183 posts · 82 votes
    6y

    @Jeff Jansen

    Great work on getting your first deal done! Always the toughest.

  • Realtor · Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 925 votes
    6y

    @Jeff Jansen - oh yes, I didn't mean elsewhere - just tell us your goals so you have support in the Forums to help you along the way!

  • Property Manager · Upstate NY · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Lucia Rushton My first goal is to get to 25 doors!

  • Property Manager · Upstate NY · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed Thank you! You are definitely correct. I am glad I listened to others and made the jump. The hardest part was having the confidence to make an offer.

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 28 votes
    6y

    That's exciting. Congrats @Jeff Jansen. How did you find the property? 

  • Property Manager · Upstate NY · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Christa S Rickard Thank you! Well, I just started talking about real estate to everyone I talked to. Then someone said well I have 2 properties that I have that I might be interested in selling. He had them for over 20 years and just said put together an offer. So I immediately went home that night, did my research and had an offer to him the next morning. He accepted. It actually caught me off guard that he said yes and did not even have a counter. 

  • Steve O.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · West Caldwell, NJ · Member since 2019 · 104 posts · 65 votes
    6y

    @Jeff Jansen was this investment in upstate NY? If so, where?

  • Property Manager · Upstate NY · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Steve O. Hi Steve, yes it was. In Elmira, NY. Located about 45 minutes west of Binghamton. 

  • Financial Advisor · Elmira, NY · Member since 2015 · 132 posts · 67 votes
    6y

    Congrats! FYI if you're not already going, @Christopher Stanis runs a REIA in Binghampton and there is a monthly landlord association meeting in Elmira

    https://www.facebook.com/CCNYLA/

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 28 votes
    6y

    @Jeff Jansen Very cool. I have yet to do my first deal. I've been searching and running numbers but I'm struggling to find something where the numbers work. From what I've read/heard multiple places is you should expect to analyze 100 properties before getting your first deal. By that time-frame I should find something in the next few months. 

    After you get your first deal, they are supposed to 'come' a lot faster. So hold tight. This buy may be the first of multiple coming your way!

  • Property Manager · Upstate NY · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Christa S Rickard I am sure you will find something soon. I searched for about 4 months to find the perfect deal. All of my mentors just said you need to jump in and you can't sit on the sideline or you'll never play the game. I probably crunched numbers on about 50. 

    It is funny you say that because I may have another deal already!

  • Property Manager · Upstate NY · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Harriet Baldwin Thank you! Yes, I was actually just speaking to someone about those meetings. I can't wait to attend one. 

  • Investor · Indianapolis · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Hi @Jeff Johnson Congratulations, can you tell how much funding you received? how many percent? Thank you

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 28 votes
    6y

    @Jeff Jansen another deal already? That is awesome! Keep it up.

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Jeff Jansen. It's been four months since you first posted. I'm about to pick up 4 units in Elmira. Has everything worked out!? I'm interested in hearing your story. Have you had any major issues working in Elmira with the lower income tenants?

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooke Park Drive · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Did you have a down payment or he financed all of it?

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    I got a 4% x 15 blanket loan, but I made an off market deal with my neighbor for his two duplexes. Down payment is 20%. 

  • Property Manager · Upstate NY · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Michael P.  I was actually able to close this one with only 5% down

  • Financial Advisor · Elmira, NY · Member since 2015 · 132 posts · 67 votes
    6y

    @Daniel Whiddon and @Jeff Jansen, if you haven't already discovered Under One Roof and Jaime Caine at Boylan Code, check them out.  Jaime is an ace landlord/tenant attorney and now official lobbyist, and is doing daily landlord/tenant law updates (old ones posted on the Boylan Code FB page, newer ones are on zoom).  If you reach out (easy to find on FB), you can access the live zoom calls for Q&A, plus get a link to a page with lots of *free* landlord resources including updated COVID compliant eviction paperwork and much much more.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.