Another reason to like the Columbus, OH RE market

Another reason to like the Columbus, OH RE market

Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 119 posts · 151 votes

You've probably heard that Columbus, OH is a city to keep your eye on. You might have also heard that it is "up-and-coming." I'm here to tell you, it's already up. In what is already becoming a hyper-competitive market, Columbus is welcoming some of the biggest tech corporations and other major brands and is retaining its talent. Columbus already has the headquarters of national brands like Nationwide, Cardinal Health, Big Lots, L Brands, CoverMyMeds, Wendy's, just to name a few. And Columbus can thank The Ohio State University for providing a steady stream of the talent that has made those companies thrive. And for the first time, recent graduates are beginning to heavily consider staying in Columbus after graduation. Why? The job market is steadily growing year after year, the cost of living is far more reasonable than the likes of a Chicago or Manhattan, and because of Columbus' central location, travelling to those major cities is quite easy. But this post is about why to like Columbus, OH even more in addition to those above.

In 2017, Amazon entered the Columbus market and pumped $1.1B into facilities here. Later that year, Facebook followed suit by purchasing 415 acres to build a $750M data center (which opened this week). Then in November (2019), Google got in on the fun and broke ground on a $600M data center that is scheduled for completion in 2021. And if that isn't enough for you, just yesterday, Facebook announced an expansion that would add two more buildings to it's campus. That expansion will add 1M square feet to bring Facebook a total of 2.5M square feet in the Columbus market. 

When I graduated high school, I couldn't wait to leave Columbus. It was small, not a lot of action, the weather is a mystery (I wore shorts last week in 65 degree weather, and as I write this today it's snowing). What I'm trying to communicate is that Columbus is no longer some small cow-town with potential. It's a city that I can't imagine leaving now (even with the weather systems). It's a city that has garnered the attention of major industry, and it's a city to, not just "keep your eye on," but to dig into. Love my city!

8Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus OH & Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 50 posts · 48 votes
6y

This is great info @Jeff Tyndall. For years, I’ve always told my close friends that they should seriously consider investing in the Columbus market as it was in my opinion, one of the best kept secrets. I’ve been buying property for 12 years and I feel like we are now within a few years of an apex. Would you guys say that we are going to see a bubble in the near future?

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    @Account Closed Thank you for the information! I was lucky that I picked The Ohio State University to get my degree and did not follow all of my friends to Chicago after graduation. I am pumped I have 14 units (potentially 24 units if this deal goes through) in Columbus, Ohio. I think I will get to enjoy an early retirement if Columbus continues to grow at this rate.

  • San Ramon, CA · Member since 2017 · 78 posts · 97 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed fully agree with your summary and the opportunities ahead.   As a Bay Area investor in Columbus I am seeing the technology start-up scene getting a lot more interest!   You have Columbus based VC Drive Capital that just completed raising two funds totaling $650M putting it with over $1B focused on technology start-up and growth companies in the area!   You have Dice that just came out with article that had Columbus as the number market for tech salary growth last year averaging $92K/yr at north of 14% YoY growth.    With this said I would caution on the references to the tech companies building data centers in and around Columbus.   Those assets and decisions tend too focused on two key metrics (build cost and access to cheap power.)  Although it is always great to see new builds and the related construction jobs the longer term direct impact I think is less exciting.   For example the 1.5M square feet from Facebook I would only expect ~100 jobs with similar numbers for Google and others.   Not to minimize those jobs but personally I am much more excited about all the accelerators operating in Columbus and the future growth and impact of those in Columbus.   At the end of the day it is Good Stuff all around!

    Cheers,

    ART

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    This is great information @Account Closed, thanks for sharing! I am excited about what Columbus has in store! 

  • Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 119 posts · 151 votes
    6y

    @Art Mimnaugh Totally agree. I know the jobs are less for a huge facility (mainly bc of server rooms, etc.), but having major brands associating themselves with your market does more than just stroke the ego, it paves the way for other large companies. You are correct though, I wouldn't want to be misleading saying FB is bringing "hundreds" of jobs or anything, but I do think the size plays a big roll as Columbus has offered a lot of incentives for big companies to jump into this market. And it's great for everyone when your city is willing to play ball! Thanks for commenting!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus OH & Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 50 posts · 48 votes
    6y

    This is great info @Jeff Tyndall. For years, I’ve always told my close friends that they should seriously consider investing in the Columbus market as it was in my opinion, one of the best kept secrets. I’ve been buying property for 12 years and I feel like we are now within a few years of an apex. Would you guys say that we are going to see a bubble in the near future?

  • Robert EllisBusiness Member
    Developer · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    You've probably heard that Columbus, OH is a city to keep your eye on. You might have also heard that it is "up-and-coming." I'm here to tell you, it's already up. In what is already becoming a hyper-competitive market, Columbus is welcoming some of the biggest tech corporations and other major brands and is retaining its talent. Columbus already has the headquarters of national brands like Nationwide, Cardinal Health, Big Lots, L Brands, CoverMyMeds, Wendy's, just to name a few. And Columbus can thank The Ohio State University for providing a steady stream of the talent that has made those companies thrive. And for the first time, recent graduates are beginning to heavily consider staying in Columbus after graduation. Why? The job market is steadily growing year after year, the cost of living is far more reasonable than the likes of a Chicago or Manhattan, and because of Columbus' central location, travelling to those major cities is quite easy. But this post is about why to like Columbus, OH even more in addition to those above.

    In 2017, Amazon entered the Columbus market and pumped $1.1B into facilities here. Later that year, Facebook followed suit by purchasing 415 acres to build a $750M data center (which opened this week). Then in November (2019), Google got in on the fun and broke ground on a $600M data center that is scheduled for completion in 2021. And if that isn't enough for you, just yesterday, Facebook announced an expansion that would add two more buildings to it's campus. That expansion will add 1M square feet to bring Facebook a total of 2.5M square feet in the Columbus market. 

    When I graduated high school, I couldn't wait to leave Columbus. It was small, not a lot of action, the weather is a mystery (I wore shorts last week in 65 degree weather, and as I write this today it's snowing). What I'm trying to communicate is that Columbus is no longer some small cow-town with potential. It's a city that I can't imagine leaving now (even with the weather systems). It's a city that has garnered the attention of major industry, and it's a city to, not just "keep your eye on," but to dig into. Love my city!

    Great macro economic info here Jeff. I love living in this city and doing business here and investing here too.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Lewis Center, OH · Member since 2019 · 49 posts · 63 votes
    6y

    @Jeff Tyndall

    Agree Columbus is a great location for REI. Even the suburbs of Columbus are appreciating very nicely.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.