Buying a SFR in Arizona for the first time

Buying a SFR in Arizona for the first time

Bothell, WA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 5 votes

Hi,

I'm looking to move down to AZ possibly for school. And I'm interested in a buying a house. I'd have very little money to put down. I'd like to buy a house to rent out the rooms while I'm in school and then rent out the property once I'm done with school.

If anyone has any agent recommendations or advice. I've never bought a house before.

Cheers!

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 25 votes
6y

Hi @Hailey Sexton, welcome! Awesome idea! 

I am also an investor from Tucson, and I own a few rentals near the UofA. Feel free to contact through private message for specific questions!

Also, I recommend picking up a copy of @Craig Curelop’s book, “The House Hacking Strategy” from the BP Store, or audible. It’s an awesome intro into what you’re looking to do. With that said, in regard to a USDA loan, I think Tucson may not qualify. I just learned this from Craig’s book, but those loans are particular about population size, I think 30-35k people, and Tucson has close to half a million. But, definitely worth more research as I haven’t gone the USDA route.

Again, welcome!

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 543 votes
    6y

    Feel free to contact me. I would be happy to give you information that will help you to make good decisions. 
    I’m an exclusive buyers agent. 
    Phoenix is in a sellers market and can be difficult in some price ranges and locations. 

  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2017 · 428 posts · 205 votes
    6y

    @Hailey Sexton hey Hailey, what part of AZ? Also, there are several low down payment financing options that require as little as 3-5% down, or even 0% down if you buy in a rural area using a USDA loan. Its what I did to buy and house hack my first property, which is definitely the easiest way to get started in my opinion.

    Best of luck on the move! I may have an agent I could refer you to depending on what part of AZ.

    Kyle

  • Bothell, WA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    @Kyle Deutschmann Thanks for your idea I'll be looking to buy in Tucson AZ. Does your friend work in that area? How do I find more about the USDA loans and low down payment options?

  • Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 25 votes
    6y

    Hi @Hailey Sexton, welcome! Awesome idea! 

    I am also an investor from Tucson, and I own a few rentals near the UofA. Feel free to contact through private message for specific questions!

    Also, I recommend picking up a copy of @Craig Curelop’s book, “The House Hacking Strategy” from the BP Store, or audible. It’s an awesome intro into what you’re looking to do. With that said, in regard to a USDA loan, I think Tucson may not qualify. I just learned this from Craig’s book, but those loans are particular about population size, I think 30-35k people, and Tucson has close to half a million. But, definitely worth more research as I haven’t gone the USDA route.

    Again, welcome!

  • Rental Property Investor · AZ · Member since 2018 · 212 posts · 183 votes
    6y

    USDA loans in AZ Won’t be near universities. They will probably be an hour away at least they are up here in the “Phoenix” market. 

    Get an FHA loan or conventional has some 3% options last I checked.

  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2017 · 428 posts · 205 votes
    6y

    Check out this website to see if a property is eligible for USDA: https://eligibility.sc.egov.usda.gov/eligibility/welcomeAction.do?pageAction=sfp

    Yes I believe he does work in that area - would be happy to connect you with him.

  • AZ · Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 40 votes
    6y

    @Hailey Sexton hello and welcome to Tucson! I have a few recommendations for realtors and a recommendation for properties. I will PM you for details!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.