Kansas City, Mo. what neighborhoods to look at / avoid?

Kansas City, Mo. what neighborhoods to look at / avoid?

Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 119 posts · 129 votes

My partner and I are multi-family investors who live in areas where investing is difficult. After conducting some market research, we have narrowed our search to 3 cities each. Now it is time to understand the neighborhoods of each city.

Any investors/agents/managers in Kansas City, Mo. familiar with the area willing to share an area overview?

Kansas City has shown great population growth, job growth, median HH income growth, and crime is on a downward trend. It appears to be affordable however I am unfamiliar with the area and need help identifying the specific neighborhoods to avoid.

Thanks in advance!

Ramsey

3Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · NV and CA · Member since 2016 · 374 posts · 227 votes
6y

@Ramsey Blankenship- I would read the thread below.  It is a little dated, but generally accurate.  

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/276800-kansas-city-missouri-zip-codes?page=1

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · NV and CA · Member since 2016 · 374 posts · 227 votes
    6y

    @Ramsey Blankenship- I would read the thread below.  It is a little dated, but generally accurate.  

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/276800-kansas-city-missouri-zip-codes?page=1

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I'd be happy to discuss the market here. Great area a lot of opportunity. Investors is my niche.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 119 posts · 129 votes
    6y

    @Ryan Fox thank you. That was a great read and very helpful

  • Real Estate Broker · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 749 posts · 399 votes
    6y

    @Ramsey Blankenship PM me and I will send you some links and discuss the path of progress and what to look for in KC.  

  • Real Estate Broker · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 537 posts · 292 votes
    6y

    Hey @Ramsey Blankenship, we're here on the ground as well.  :)

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 119 posts · 129 votes
    6y

    Luther,  Thank you for the response. would you have time to jump on a phone call? my partner and I are narrowing our research this week and Kansas City is a top contender for our investments. 

    Ramsey

  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Ramsey Blankenship Kansas City can be a great cash flow market if you buy in the right areas. We've been active there for many years so I'm familiar with the areas that perform well. In general, I recommend sticking with solid B class rental neighborhoods in the suburbs and stay away from the inner city areas. The areas that we focus on are Independence, Raytown, South Kansas City and Grandview. These are mostly working class areas that have seensome very good appreciation in the last 7 years, especially around the new Cerner campus. I know KC well, Feel free to reach out if you'd like.

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.