You have $120k cash... how do you use it?

You have $120k cash... how do you use it?

Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 11 votes

Hey guys! I had posted a pretty long thread yesterday that didn't gain much traction, I'm thinking it's because of the length. So I'm breaking it down into small parts.. here's the first one with my first question -- if you want to read the original post you can do so here.

I have $120k in cash that I'm planning on using to start my REI career in about 18 months. I need to know how to best utilize the money until I'm ready to use it. 

My situation is a bit unique... I just married my wife in Brazil last year and we have been living here in ever since while waiting for her visa to be processed. We are planning to be back home in Houston in the next 3 months.

I want to buy a house when we return but still have access to the money when I am ready to start using it. My question is: "What the best way to use the cash in my situation?"

Here are the criteria: 
-I will not start investing until I've been mentored and immersed in the business for at least a year -- so I am OK with it being tied up for at least a year. 

-I need to buy a home for my wife and me when we come back to the State. 

-I need access to the money after a year

Here are my ideas so far (and where I would like your input): 

-put the full $120k down on our residential home, have an extremely small monthly payment, save more money and refi it back out in a year (my father is a mortgage broker and could handle the refi for me, but it would still cost me about $3k in other fees)

-put the full $120k down on the home and then do a HELOC when I'm ready to start investing

-put a small down payment on the home and put the rest of the money into some type of safe investment like a bond

-put a small down payment and just keep the rest in a high yield savings account

Other details: 

-We're planning to buy a home and rehab it -- but not to flip -- we will live in it for an extended period of time

-We'd like to spend no more than $150k on the property (including rehab) *would like your feedback on this as well*

-My investing strategy will be a combination of flipping and value-add buy and holds. 

-We're in the Houston market


I want to make the best financial decision with a low amount of risks... what would you do if you were in my shoes? 

Thanks in advance guys! I will be super grateful for any insight you have to offer. 

Blessings,

0Reply
17 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2018 · 974 posts · 645 votes
    6y

    Hi @Account Closed, If I were in your shoes (and I was once - my wife is from Mexico and we did the whole visa thing). I'd get the residence and a HELOC. That way you have it and can use, rinse, repeat... I did the buy and refinance and it locks up a large incremental mortgage payment even though you haven't used the cash yet to purchase something. Best to have it available and then use it once you're ready to buy something.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.