What offer to make on property

What offer to make on property

Rental Property Investor · TX · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 0 votes

So I'm looking into purchasing a loft condo.  There are multiple units available, but I think if I do purchase I will be purchasing one that is approximately $300k.  My question is, what offer price should I give them?  I do not plan on just offering their full asking price.  

Here is the situation...

This is located in what I would say is an up and coming area.  Previously run down and now over the past 5-10 years has been getting built back up.  Has some good touristy stuff

There are approximately 50 loft condos available in this building.  The building was recently completely redone and they listed these condos for sale a few months ago.  They have currently sold around 10 of the units.  

Now as far as if their offering price is a good deal or not... My plan is to use it as an AirBnB rental and based on my research I will make a good profit as an AirBnB. That is why I am considering purchasing it.  But just with uncertainty of short term rental markets, I would want it to be a good deal no matter what type of strategy I employ (short term rental, long term rental).

How can I determine the correct value of the property?  I don't really see other loft condo's in the area that are available for sale.  Is there a way to access previously purchased property prices in the area?  There probably is not a whole lot to compare with.

Also, is selling 10 out of 50 in a few months put the owner's in sell sell sell mode, possibly making them take lower offers? Or is their current rate of sale pretty typical and they would likely hold at their current prices?

Thanks for the help.

0Reply
13 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @John Wenhold, what have the 10 sold units gone for? That's your baseline. If they're near or above asking, you probably won't have luck negotiating down too much.

    Usually new construction (which this essentially is) is "pre-sold" as much as possible. 20% sold in the first few months sounds reasonable to me and there may be pending sales that just haven't gone trough. At this point the developers may not be willing to cut too much as that will price anchor future sales.

    On a separate note, are there any rental restrictions in the building? The condo association could prohibit STRs with one vote, if they want to.

  • Rental Property Investor · TX · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Jaysen Medhurst

    I was told they are not putting any restrictions on short term rental use.

    How would I go about finding out what those other units sold for? I’m sure they will not just hand over that info if they sold for less than what they are asking for. When I spoke with them they told me they were in negotiations with a few more units, giving me a sense that they were will to negotiate on price. Also I saw one of the units pop up on Zillow for 10k less than what they have listed on their site

  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    All RE sales are public information, @John Wenhold. If you're working with an agent, ask them to look it up on the MLS. Otherwise, just search "Your town property search" and the database should come up. If you have any trouble, you can always pop by town hall.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.