Need someone who knows the va Loan and post 9/11 gi bill

Need someone who knows the va Loan and post 9/11 gi bill

Norfolk, VA · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 4 votes

So I bought a place in Virginia using the va loan and I plan to go to go to NY to go to school on my post 9/11 gi bill. Would I be able to have the va loan in a different state then I am going to school at? And would I still receive the bah of NY?

0Reply
12 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 930 posts · 836 votes
    7y

    @Bertram Scroggins

    You will receive BAH for NY if you are attending classes in person at the school located in New York. If you plan to buy a property with a VA loan, you are supposed to live there. I assume you weren't planning to commute for classes, so I don't really see how you can do both of these at the same time.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 930 posts · 836 votes
    7y

    Now if you actually already have the VA loan and have lived in that place for a while, there is no issue. The VA loan doesn't get canceled.

  • Norfolk, VA · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Kris L. I heard that people use va loaned properties as investment properties and I was planning on doing that.

  • Norfolk, VA · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Kris L. How long is a while? What is the time limit you have to occupy the property because I can’t find that anywhere.

  • Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Bertram Scroggins

    Two years is the requirement of living in a VA financed property before you can officially rent it out.

  • Norfolk, VA · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Anup Debideen where can I find that in writing? I keep hearing 12 months.

  • Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 49 votes
    7y

    You won't have a problem renting your house if you move for college. You also won't have a problem getting a new loan if DTI is still good.

    You need to realize they have funny rules about the second VA loan though. It usually has to be more money and the fee goes up (unless disabled). Also 99 percent of VA lenders won't accept rental income as credit until it has been rented 12-24 months.

  • Norfolk, VA · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Luke Reninger what if I had my brother occupy the property while I was in school because he lives with me? When u go back to ny I will not be getting another loan. I’ll be paying rent. There’s a school that I really would like to attend that’s why I was asking this question.

  • Member since 2019 · 56 posts · 49 votes
    7y

    If you already own the home, they don't care if you go to school somewhere else as long as the bill gets paid. The GI bill people (VA) don't talk to your VA loan lender.

    If you haven’t bought a house yet and don’t plan on occupying it, that’s different.

  • Norfolk, VA · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Luke Reninger okay I believe you answered my question. I wasn’t sure is the loan and the post 9/11 people talk considering the loan and the bah are coming from the va. Thank you very much.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.