looking to house hack in Philly/ NJ investing methods works best?

looking to house hack in Philly/ NJ investing methods works best?

Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 0 votes

hey everyone, with the lowest interest rate in many months now here. Would like to purchase very soon. I'm 26 with 65k for a property. I live in North Jersey which the taxes really make it hard to cash flow/breakeven buying along with the salt tax. I have the following choices I feel below.

1. move to Philly (which i will soon) and buy a 2 or 3 unit property to house hack with the hope of getting 4-6% cocr after moving out from one year living in one of the units. 

2. purchase a townhome in Philly and airbnb it 
to cover all cost + cash flow left over
3. purchase a single family house and rent out the rooms in Philly to break even.
4. purchase a 2 unit in Clifton NJ and have my family all chip in to pay the mortgage living with free from paying (a not good idea long term + family already does this in a one family house in Paterson which they don't mind ) 


what i am looking for is 

1. to house hack so i can cash flow after living there for 1 year and or break even. 

2. force appreciation with light rehab done to the units

3. in a C or better class area


I would be doing a conventional loan as i do want to do fha since rates are low now trying to see which method would yield me to cash flow / live rent free with some cash flow. i read many books and all say you profit when you buy so i want to buy right. i can buy up to 420k and currently no debt.  I should mention out of 60k-65k i would like to max put down 40k so ill have some funds for light rehab. i have been preapproved in both NJ and PA, been looking hard in Philly but have not found anything so far that cash flows after 1 yr. 

what method makes the most sense? and is what im looking for asking too much now in this market?

thanks for your help

0Reply
6 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 428 posts · 484 votes
    7y

    @Mario Gonzalez I commented on a similar post you recently made, this one actually begs a different question, how have you been doing most of your marketing lately?

  • Princeton Jct, NJ · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    South Philly has a lot of older row homes that are $200k ish (or less) but most are SFH, not setup as legal multi family.

    I had someone offer a home north of Temple U. (looked to me like "D" area) that was $7k, but I wasn't feeling it when it was offered to me last year.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.