Votes
Ryan Alacon
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
What are So Cal investors up to?

Ryan Alacon
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Nov 3 2018, 20:11
Hi, I’m located in Southern California and, as many other investors out here, can’t find any good deals locally. I’ve played with the idea of investing out of state but being a first time investor I have many reservations. Also, I do have a 9-5 job so managing an out of state property in person would be difficult. Just curious to see what other Southern Californians are doing. Hibernating till a correction in price? Investing out of state? Still buying locally? Partnering with out of staters? Sold properties and all in on bitcoin? 😁

User Stats

Votes
Scott Morongell
  • Syndicator
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Syndicator
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Nov 6 2018, 08:01

@Ryan Alacon I have been having several investors from California reach out looking to invest in our syndications. Great option obviously if you want to be passive.

User Stats

Votes
Alina Trigub
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Glen Rock, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Glen Rock, NJ
Replied Nov 6 2018, 08:10

@Ryan Alacon Since you mentioned you have a full time job and may want to limited your involvement in real estate investing, as @Scott Morongell mentioned, consider investing via syndications. This investment type is completely passive to equity partners. There're many great markets and various asset classes to chose from, not to mention a lot of deal sponsors to chose from. 

Being in another expensive market such as NJ (right next to NYC), I can certainly related to your pain points with the local market. This is exactly the reason that forced me to look into investing in syndications. 

Happy to chat more offline. Have questions, feel free to PM me.

Best!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Alacon
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Nov 6 2018, 08:42

@Scott Morongell Thanks for the suggestion. That is on my list to look into. For now, I think I would like to get more involved. I'd still like to be passive, but still have most control over the property. Cheers!

User Stats

Votes
Scott Morongell
  • Syndicator
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Syndicator
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Nov 6 2018, 08:44

@Ryan Alacon absolutely. If you ever have questions when it comes to syndication feel free to reach out.

User Stats

Votes
Tim G.
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Nov 6 2018, 09:57
Originally posted by @Ryan Alacon:
@Cody L. @Tim Gordon San Diego is definitely an awesome place to live! I haven’t paddled out in a long time. Hopefully my wetsuit still fits! 😂

I hope you get in the water soon my friend! 

User Stats

Votes
Mike D'Arrigo
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Nov 29 2018, 18:20

@Ryan Alacon Your concern is very valid. Property Management is the key to success when investing out of state, It doesn't have to deter you though. If your goal is cash flow and being in CA, your choices are to either go out of state or not invest in real estate. Although there are a lot of horror stories, there are a lot of very good PM's. This is a good place to start by getting recommendations. One thing I would caution you about getting recommendations though is to take recommendations only from people who have worked with the PM for a minimum of a year and who have multiple properties being managed by the PM.