Foreigns Investing in Real Estate in U.S. (facing challenges)

Foreigns Investing in Real Estate in U.S. (facing challenges)

Miami, FL · Member since 2018 · 71 posts · 87 votes

Hello BigPocketers, I wonder how many of us does actually live abroad (let’s say outside U.S.) and is at the same time an investor in Real Estate in the United States. This great country and huge real estate market gives us great investment opportunities, but there is also a part of sacrifice on it. I can imagine you all face many challenges when analyzing a new business opportunity in RE from home adding the distance factor. How many additional things we have to consider to minimize risks? How does this planning affect our lives? What are the risks involved and how do we mitigate them? How do you guys manage the investment at the distance?

So, as an ice breaker I will briefly share my experience and invite you all do the same. I live in Latin America, I started investing in Florida 5 years ago and experience was mixed, nowadays I am investing in Detroit area.

First lesson: if I don’t have a top local team in that city I don’t go. I bought at good prices in FL but lack of good property managers and local staff got me crazy! I am now investing in Detroit area and besides all things you can find in internet about ridiculous promises of profits (90% nonsense) I would have never done it without my local team.

Second lesson: Not 1 or 2, 3 or more quotation of services. When I started with RE in Florida I started with the first realtor and CPA that was introduced to me (they resulted awesome! But it could have been terrible). Nowadays always I am always looking for alternative options: CPAs, attorneys, realtors, handy men, property managers, etc.

Third lesson: Check the U.S. calendar before planning your trip. This may sound stupid, but I once travelled to U.S. and pretended to meet with the CPA on a day that I did not know it was Labor Day (yes, you can laugh). I lost that day in “financial” terms.

Fourth lesson: Ask, ask, ask. Sometimes when travelling to U.S. (and probably most countries in the world) the best way to get good quality information is just parking the car in the neighborhood you are analyzing and talk to locals in a Starbucks or a Dunkin Donuts while having a coffee, people walking the street, someone parking his car arriving with kids from school, in a pub or bar, restaurants...I mean everywhere!

Fifth lesson: plan your trips and be there! Every time I plan a trip to monitor the investments in U.S. I have to “block” 10 days of my life. Generally booking flights, hotel, car etc. is done 20-30 days before each trip. Depending on how your life is structured, your beloved ones (spouse, kids, girlfriend/boyfiriend, parents, pets) also have to participate in the process, because they are lending part of their time so that you can be travelling.

I have enjoyed a lot this experience and plan to continue doing it!!!

Please share your experience.

0Reply
91 views

Most Popular Reply

DeWitt GibsonPro Member
Investor · Phoenix Arizona, USA · Member since 2018 · 176 posts · 105 votes
8y

@Francisco Cimon

We have a loan product specifically for non-US Residents investing in US Property. We can go 75% LTV with no US credit required. Please message me if you would like details :)

Thanks!

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Canada · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Hello Leo,

    Thanks for sharing. I have not investing in RE in US but I am also a non US resident. I asume that RE opportunities in your home country are negligible?

    After five years, would you consider that investing in the US was a good decision rather than  investing in your home country?

    Where did you get your financing from?

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2018 · 71 posts · 87 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Francisco Cimon:

    Hello Leo,

    Thanks for sharing. I have not investing in RE in US but I am also a non US resident. I asume that RE opportunities in your home country are negligible?

    After five years, would you consider that investing in the US was a good decision rather than  investing in your home country?

    Where did you get your financing from?

    Francisco, how are you? Thanks for your message. You do not need to be a US resident to invest in U.S. Not at all. I consider it was an extraordinary experience in terms of learning but essentially on profits made in a pro business environment country with solid and clear laws, both for tenants and landlord. Financing 100% cash hardly earned at firs time and then funding rounds: friends and family.

    Best, Leo.

  • Vandalia, MI · Member since 2018 · 569 posts · 264 votes
    8y

    Wow, I love the things you have learned. Thanks for sharing your business information with us all.

  • DeWitt GibsonPro Member
    Investor · Phoenix Arizona, USA · Member since 2018 · 176 posts · 105 votes
    8y

    @Francisco Cimon

    We have a loan product specifically for non-US Residents investing in US Property. We can go 75% LTV with no US credit required. Please message me if you would like details :)

    Thanks!

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2018 · 71 posts · 87 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @DeWitt Gibson:

    @Francisco Cimon

    We have a loan product specifically for non-US Residents investing in US Property. We can go 75% LTV with no US credit required. Please message me if you would like details :)

    Thanks!

    DeWitt, nice to meet you. I can be definitely interested in knowing more about this. Please feel free to PM me.

    Leo.

  • Canada · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Dewitt, 

    Thank you for the info. Send me a message please when you get a chance. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Ottawa, Ontario · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    To both Leo and DeWitt, thanks for sharing.

    DeWitt, as Canadians, we are experiencing difficulty in obtaining financing. However, we have found a small bank that is helping us with our 3rd SFR. We were able to pay cash for the first 2 properties.

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2018 · 71 posts · 87 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nancy Webb:

    To both Leo and DeWitt, thanks for sharing.

    DeWitt, as Canadians, we are experiencing difficulty in obtaining financing. However, we have found a small bank that is helping us with our 3rd SFR. We were able to pay cash for the first 2 properties.

    Nancy, I face the same challenge being from Uruguay. DeWitt proposed a solution to me that you could give a try (I have not done it). If one of these days you consider buying in Florida I can put you in contact with a local bank that lends to foreign national up to 50%-60% LTV with reasonable rates. Please let me know if you find a good lending option in Detroit for foreign nationals.

    Best,

    Leo.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ottawa, Ontario · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Main Street Bank, in Detroit is helping us with financing this time but it was difficult to find an institution willing to help.

    We were initially going to invest in the Orlando area and actually were going through the steps to secure a mortgage on a short term rental townhouse in a gated resort in Kissimmee. The mortgage company made it so difficult that we just backed out.

    Thanks for the offer. When we re-visit the idea of Florida, we will discuss with you further.

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2018 · 71 posts · 87 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nancy Webb:

    Main Street Bank, in Detroit is helping us with financing this time but it was difficult to find an institution willing to help.

    We were initially going to invest in the Orlando area and actually were going through the steps to secure a mortgage on a short term rental townhouse in a gated resort in Kissimmee. The mortgage company made it so difficult that we just backed out.

    Thanks for the offer. When we re-visit the idea of Florida, we will discuss with you further.

    Sure! Just let me know, I will be happy to try to help each other. I invested for 5 years in Florida, till market got really hot and IRRs went down. Also appreciate in the future to have contact with Main Street Bank in Detroit if you have success. What %LTV the lend? Or you are planning on buy 100% cash and then refinance with them.

    Leo.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ottawa, Ontario · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Main Street Bank is willing to lend 70% LTV.

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2018 · 71 posts · 87 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nancy Webb:

    Main Street Bank is willing to lend 70% LTV.

     Wish you the best possible experience! Good luck.

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2014 · 231 posts · 130 votes
    8y

    @Leo Furest feel free to reach out to me if you need any contacts in Orlando.  I work with a great team of property mangers (both long term and short term management), a team of attorneys, a great CPA.  I had to go through a couple bags ones though when I first moved here to find awesome ones now.

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2018 · 71 posts · 87 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Erin Legler:

    @Leo Furest feel free to reach out to me if you need any contacts in Orlando.  I work with a great team of property mangers (both long term and short term management), a team of attorneys, a great CPA.  I had to go through a couple bags ones though when I first moved here to find awesome ones now.

    Hi Erin, I have never approached Orlando area as investment market, but essentially South Florida (Hollywood and down till Brickell). Actually focused on Detroit, but maybe one of these days when FL is worth investing again will re consider it. Nowadays is way too hot....and IRRs are one digit :(

  • Rental Property Investor · Singapore · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    Hi Leo, Thanks for posting this, it's very informative. I'm new to BiggerPockets and am interested in finding out more as a foreigner on how to invest in us properties. Can I ask for your first buy, you reached out to someone local and visited the locations? Is it easy to get a bank loan as a foreigner in the us without income?
  • Miami, FL · Member since 2018 · 71 posts · 87 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Pham:

    Hi Leo,

    Thanks for posting this, it's very informative.

    I'm new to BiggerPockets and am interested in finding out more as a foreigner on how to invest in us properties.

    Can I ask for your first buy, you reached out to someone local and visited the locations? Is it easy to get a bank loan as a foreigner in the us without income?

    Hi Ryan, thanks for your message.

    I started 6 years ago when Miami was a cash machine...nowadays have to constantly look for nicer IRRs. All my new investments or markets approached is doing it personally. I don't know where you live, but for me is a $1,000 flight ticket + 1 week @$200/night + $150 food + $345 rental car. I prefer investing that money in a "prospection" trip rather than following some Guru's advice that never put at risk 1 hard earned dime. I don't know...thats my opinion. I didi it with Miami, also with Detroit. Also true that once that you Start you don't stop, must have a top local team but also have to be monitoring everything. I travel 10 days per month to U.S. to monitor everything. If you are interested in starting but don't want to do it this way, please feel free to contact me I can send you couple options in RE for you to analyze.

    take care,

    Leo  

  • Specialist · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 117 posts · 35 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Leo Furest:

    Hello BigPocketers, I wonder how many of us does actually live abroad (let’s say outside U.S.) and is at the same time an investor in Real Estate in the United States. This great country and huge real estate market gives us great investment opportunities, but there is also a part of sacrifice on it. I can imagine you all face many challenges when analyzing a new business opportunity in RE from home adding the distance factor. How many additional things we have to consider to minimize risks? How does this planning affect our lives? What are the risks involved and how do we mitigate them? How do you guys manage the investment at the distance?

    So, as an ice breaker I will briefly share my experience and invite you all do the same. I live in Latin America, I started investing in Florida 5 years ago and experience was mixed, nowadays I am investing in Detroit area.

    First lesson: if I don’t have a top local team in that city I don’t go. I bought at good prices in FL but lack of good property managers and local staff got me crazy! I am now investing in Detroit area and besides all things you can find in internet about ridiculous promises of profits (90% nonsense) I would have never done it without my local team.

    Second lesson: Not 1 or 2, 3 or more quotation of services. When I started with RE in Florida I started with the first realtor and CPA that was introduced to me (they resulted awesome! But it could have been terrible). Nowadays always I am always looking for alternative options: CPAs, attorneys, realtors, handy men, property managers, etc.

    Third lesson: Check the U.S. calendar before planning your trip. This may sound stupid, but I once travelled to U.S. and pretended to meet with the CPA on a day that I did not know it was Labor Day (yes, you can laugh). I lost that day in “financial” terms.

    Fourth lesson: Ask, ask, ask. Sometimes when travelling to U.S. (and probably most countries in the world) the best way to get good quality information is just parking the car in the neighborhood you are analyzing and talk to locals in a Starbucks or a Dunkin Donuts while having a coffee, people walking the street, someone parking his car arriving with kids from school, in a pub or bar, restaurants...I mean everywhere!

    Fifth lesson: plan your trips and be there! Every time I plan a trip to monitor the investments in U.S. I have to “block” 10 days of my life. Generally booking flights, hotel, car etc. is done 20-30 days before each trip. Depending on how your life is structured, your beloved ones (spouse, kids, girlfriend/boyfiriend, parents, pets) also have to participate in the process, because they are lending part of their time so that you can be travelling.

    I have enjoyed a lot this experience and plan to continue doing it!!!

    Please share your experience.

     Hi Leo, are you still looking to further invest in Miami and South Florida? What types of properties are you looking for? Would love to further connect.

  • Port-au-Prince, Ouest · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Hi @Leo Furest very interesting thread. I'm also considering investing from abroad. Would you mind sending me the option proposed to @Ryan Pham.

  • Investor · Melbourne, Victoria · Member since 2015 · 203 posts · 58 votes
    8y

    Hi @Leo Furest

    Great post!  I live in Australia and invest in the US.  Some of the areas you mention, FL and MI but also TX.  I totally agree with your learnings, the team on the ground is most important!

    Best of luck!

    Cheers

    Lindsay

  • Investor · Melbourne, Victoria · Member since 2015 · 203 posts · 58 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @DeWitt Gibson:

    @Francisco Cimon

    We have a loan product specifically for non-US Residents investing in US Property. We can go 75% LTV with no US credit required. Please message me if you would like details :)

    Thanks!

     Hi DeWitt, I would also be interested in this.  Most of my clients pay cash, but lending options for non US citizens is always of interest!

    Thanks

    Lindsay

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2018 · 71 posts · 87 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Lindsay Stewart:

    Hi @Leo Furest

    Great post!  I live in Australia and invest in the US.  Some of the areas you mention, FL and MI but also TX.  I totally agree with your learnings, the team on the ground is most important!

    Best of luck!

    Cheers

    Lindsay

    Lindsay thank you for your message! We all foreign investors face this challenges daily! 

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2018 · 71 posts · 87 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nancy Webb:

    To both Leo and DeWitt, thanks for sharing.

    DeWitt, as Canadians, we are experiencing difficulty in obtaining financing. However, we have found a small bank that is helping us with our 3rd SFR. We were able to pay cash for the first 2 properties.

    Nancy, how are you? I will be in Detroit in 10 days. Can you please send me a private message with contact details of the person you are dealing with at Street Bank? I am also willing to further analyze the possibilities of getting some loans for foreign investors. Thanks in advance and have a great weekend. Leo.

  • Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 146 posts · 24 votes
    8y

    @ Dewitt Gibson, 

    How much is the minimum purchase price of the house for lending purposes? 

    I can't find anything under $50,000.

  • Rental Property Investor · Singapore · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    @Leo Furest, nice Leo. I'm staying in Asia but my flight to USA would roughly be more or less the same amount. Will ping you for some tips as well :)
  • Miami, FL · Member since 2018 · 71 posts · 87 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Pham:
    @Leo Furest, nice Leo. I'm staying in Asia but my flight to USA would roughly be more or less the same amount.

    Will ping you for some tips as well :)

     Sure! please feel free to do it. Best, Leo.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.