Specialist · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2014 · 47 posts · 26 votes
8y
my company owns rentals in mesa and houston... safe cap rates are better in Houston. taxes are 2-3 * as much and appreciation might not be the same but the cap is 3% higher
Missing which major market? New York ? Chicago? The article was written May 31st, so relatively recent. Does look at past historical data, which is not indicative of future returns.
On the list, is Seattle, Las Vegas, and San Jose/Bay area, which are the #1, #2, and #3 ranked cities for appreciation of over double digit returns year over year.
Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 10 votes
8y
Best 25 cities to implement what strategy?
The Midwest is well known for having cheaper housing stock, has seen a lot of job growth recently and has been talked about a lot as a great place to invest... Indianapolis and Columbus come to mind.
Short term rentals are a completely different list of cities
Path of progress cities aren’t listed...think hq2 list... they are all on that list for a reason
I wouldn’t include Chicago or some of those cities as good investment cities because of tenant laws..
Yeah, this list doesn't seem to bring up emerging markets. For example, Cleveland has been providing some strong ROIs recently and many other websites list it at the "next big thing" but this one doesn't really have anything in the Midwest.
Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 236 posts · 156 votes
8y
@Terry Lao thanks for posting this article and list. Speaking of lists, I posted another list the other day of people leaving SF and where they are looking to move to. See the thread below.
Below are the top 10 places people are looking to move to.
10. Stockton, CA 9. Salt Lake City, Utah 8. Hawaii (my home state yah!) 7. Phoenix, Arizona 6. Las Vegas, Nevada 5. Austin, Texas 4. Denver, Colorado 3. Sacramento, CA 2. Portland, Oregon 1. Seattle, Washington
In bold are the cities that cross between the two lists. It's interesting to see who's invested in these areas or plan to invest and why.
I'm sure there is correlation between the two lists. The funny thing about lists is that when they come out, it is old news. The key is to stay one step ahead before the news comes out. Like already purchased property before the market moves or before the article comes out.
Also, it is not hard to figure where the migration is going towards. if you are from the bay area, then sacramento, stockton, might be a good choice.l
I'm in southern california, so Las Vegas is a logical choice.
It guess i'll take that as a compliment. Fanboy is almost like the famous Bangkok lady boys.
I'll make a bold prediction before the GLVAR May's median year over year comes out.................... I predict 17.6% increase median home year over year, with median SFR price of $294,000.
It guess i'll take that as a compliment. Fanboy is almost like the famous Bangkok lady boys.
I'll make a bold prediction before the GLVAR May's median year over year comes out.................... I predict 17.6% increase median home year over year, with median SFR price of $294,000.
Anyone wanna bet?
Terry
yes compliment. I'm a super vegas fanboy, more than you actually, since I moved here ;) My house is a bit under the 'median' group, but happy to still reap similar rewards.
I'll take your bet:
if you win, I make a ton of money on my house, awesome.
Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y
@Terry Lao I've never been a fan of these lists of "best investment markets" and if cash flow is the objective, I couldn't disagree with this one more. Not one of these markets would be on my radar. Some of them may be ok for flips or long term equity gain, but most of them are far too expensive to cash flow which is why you see so many people in many of these markets going out of state to more affordable areas, particularly in the midwest.
The preliminary numbers are out for median SFR for Las Vegas. May 2018 SFR median $295,000 and 18.0% year over year increase. My prediction was $294,000 and 17.6% year over year.
@Terry Lao I've never been a fan of these lists of "best investment markets" and if cash flow is the objective, I couldn't disagree with this one more. Not one of these markets would be on my radar. Some of them may be ok for flips or long term equity gain, but most of them are far too expensive to cash flow which is why you see so many people in many of these markets going out of state to more affordable areas, particularly in the midwest.
you think people are moving away from Las Vegas? quite the contrary
While this will hopefully be the one and only time I agree with @Jay Hinrichs on this topic, he's right that long term appreciation is the most profitable way to make money in real estate. Now, I don't buy with that strategy largely because I can't afford to so I buy cash flow and I prefer cash flow, but the real money is definitely in appreciation.
and for that reason, based on @Terry Lao and my bet, he wins....which means my home value is crushing it. LOL
I suppose I could pony up for a couple drinks next time you're in town ;)
(just before this madness, and I'm writing an article about why I moved when I did to capture this mania)
house was 223 when I bought it, 2 identical houses next to me just sold for 270. not life changing, but not bad. Especially since I used FHA. I'll refi this summer to drop PMI and move to a VA loan. then take a heloc out on the equity to buy some more cheap rentals back east
Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y
@Alexander Felice Where do I say anything about people moving away from Las Vegas? I'm very aware of the population growth that LV is experiencing but population growth doesn't translate to being a cash flow market. If it did, Dallas would be a great cash flow market and it's not. I don't know why you hope that this is the one and only time you agree with @Jay Hinrichs. Jay brings a seasoned and valuable perspective to all of his posts.
@Alexander Felice Where do I say anything about people moving away from Las Vegas? I'm very aware of the population growth that LV is experiencing but population growth doesn't translate to being a cash flow market. If it did, Dallas would be a great cash flow market and it's not. I don't know why you hope that this is the one and only time you agree with @Jay Hinrichs. Jay brings a seasoned and valuable perspective to all of his posts.
i reread your post in better context and I did misrepresent your statement. apologies!
you're right about cash flow here for sure. I moved here but I won't invest here because of that very reason.
also, just heckling about jay's position, though I'm sure he won't be offended ;)
Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y
Those all look like healthy growth markets. Individual results may vary but for total profits or long term flow + equity averages those look stronger than most probably. I just heard Sacramento was new leading destination for millennials if that matters. Good luck!
Investor · Taylor Mill, KY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 964 votes
8y
@Terry Lao Without getting into too much here, the article starts off with talking about appreciation. Then goes on to discuss the specific cities, starting with Aurora, CO "Another sign for optimism in the Aurora real estate market is the rising home values. From 2012-2016, the value of the median home grew by over 43%." NEVER BUY FOR APPRECIATION. This article is setting people up for failure if they are suggesting to invest in these areas because of previous appreciation. That is how people lost their shirts in 2008. And the article mentions the appreciation being a main factor for being a top city to invest in with almost every city.
Now the article is stating facts, if the purpose is purely to say these were the best places to invest over the last 5 years, sure, okay.
But trying to use this data and apply to the future is pure speculation. Buy for cash flow, not appreciation.
The other major take-away is most newbies cannot afford property in any of these cities. The article doesn't seem to talk directly to newbies, but you did.
The article is a starting point. I mentioned newbies as a starting point is because most newbies do not even have a starting point. Of course, they have to work the numbers and do their due diligence. I did mention that past results is not indicative of future returns.
For the experienced investor, the list will just re-affirm or not re-affirm the investments that you already purchased.
So better to not post any article? or give any list for fear of criticism or lose money?
@Terry Lao Without getting into too much here, the article starts off with talking about appreciation. Then goes on to discuss the specific cities, starting with Aurora, CO "Another sign for optimism in the Aurora real estate market is the rising home values. From 2012-2016, the value of the median home grew by over 43%." NEVER BUY FOR APPRECIATION. This article is setting people up for failure if they are suggesting to invest in these areas because of previous appreciation. That is how people lost their shirts in 2008. And the article mentions the appreciation being a main factor for being a top city to invest in with almost every city.
Now the article is stating facts, if the purpose is purely to say these were the best places to invest over the last 5 years, sure, okay.
But trying to use this data and apply to the future is pure speculation. Buy for cash flow, not appreciation.
The other major take-away is most newbies cannot afford property in any of these cities. The article doesn't seem to talk directly to newbies, but you did.
people will make far more money buying in high appreciating markets even with negative cash flow IF they only can buy one or two properties.. that is for certain.. Cash flow markets I get it but you need volume to make sense of buying non or very slow appreciating assets.. they become liabilities once they start to break down and need major repairs 10 to 15 years down the line.. that's why you can buy them so cheap today.. below replacement cost.. plus they are not as liquid as properties in high appreciating markets that can and are sold in a matter of days even in a bad market it may only take 60 to 90 days to sell.. in some markets if you needed to sell and without take a huge capital loss you could take a year or more to sell.. I know I have experienced it first hand owning the hundreds of cash flow homes I have owned over the years..
And MF which you guys do is not the same its apples and oranges to talking about 1 to 4 units.
Thanks for chiming in. Always nice to hear from a guru. I think the list that i posted is good information, similar to a movie review critic. The reader can read, and determine for himself/herself if the movie is worth watching.
Did you see in this post that I predicted the Las Vegas median SFR price for May 2018 to within 1k? and .04% for year over year?
At this pace, will surely pass pre-recession high of 315k set back in Jun'06.