Ancient Realtor Secret..."misplacing" or hiding lock box?

Ancient Realtor Secret..."misplacing" or hiding lock box?

Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 7 votes

OK BP. I'd like your input in this matter. I've been looking for a foreclosure to flip in Chicago, Currently, my agent and I are attempting to see a foreclosure right now. I'm noticing that whenever it is a really good deal or a hot REO property the agent does not answer, respond to messages, or if they do respond - we'll go view the property and the lock box is mysteriously "lost". But a few days (or a week) later there is a contract on the home. It seems to just be happening with REO in which the bank has hired an agent. I think some agents are holding out for their friends or business partners and is making it difficult for other investors to see and bid on the properties. So my question is...Has anyone experienced this? Where it seems the agent is shady or doing something shady so buyers cannot bid?

0Reply
53 views

Most Popular Reply

Ryan MurdockPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

More than once on a "hot" listing when the agent told me they hadn't installed a lockbox at the property yet I have actually driven to them (once at their office, once at a bar....) to retrieve the key and hang the box for them.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    not sure about hiding the lock box usually on the listing it gives the location of the lock box.. IE on the gas main  front door back door etc.. as for not putting one on.. that could happen it could get listed and take the agent a few days to get out and put it on there.. I know my wife will put them in the computer many times before she gets the lock box on .. but this is not to keep others from writing offers.  as 97% of our transactions in our market are Co broker.. so it would be counter productive to not let other agents and their buyers in.

    Although to be fair we also don't have nearly the amount of distressed real estate as you folks do.. its all retail stuff..

  • Ryan MurdockPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    More than once on a "hot" listing when the agent told me they hadn't installed a lockbox at the property yet I have actually driven to them (once at their office, once at a bar....) to retrieve the key and hang the box for them.

  • Corona, CA · Member since 2017 · 99 posts · 42 votes
    8y
    If you're deal directly with the listing agents, I'm guessing the keys will available when needed. Just an observation.
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    @Ryan Murdock  what we see in our market right now.. is  " Coming Soon Signs"  listing realtor puts a sign in the yard saying coming soon.. obvious so they can double end it..

    each market is unique though.. and having done some stuff in Chicago.. we just don't have the same MASS of properties.. and especially what would be considered deals or props that can be bought and rehabbed.. its tough here.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Thanks everyone. It seems odd. Also, they told us where it was located and someone keeps moving it. Now it is temporarily off the market because the key is lost again, or someone took it. I just hope it does not suddenly pop up with a contract. Thanks everyone!

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 209 posts · 126 votes
    8y

    I used to see this a lot with rental agents. Sometimes it was an accident, but many times the key would go missing.  And I know that the lockbox had the key in it... really annoying and we would blacklist agents for it if they did it often.

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Sahana R.:

    OK BP. I'd like your input in this matter. I've been looking for a foreclosure to flip in Chicago, Currently, my agent and I are attempting to see a foreclosure right now. I'm noticing that whenever it is a really good deal or a hot REO property the agent does not answer, respond to messages, or if they do respond - we'll go view the property and the lock box is mysteriously "lost". But a few days (or a week) later there is a contract on the home. It seems to just be happening with REO in which the bank has hired an agent. I think some agents are holding out for their friends or business partners and is making it difficult for other investors to see and bid on the properties. So my question is...Has anyone experienced this? Where it seems the agent is shady or doing something shady so buyers cannot bid?

     Like most people, most real estate agents are good people, honest, etc.

    However there are exceptions, and I have noticed a correlation between "REO" and "shady listing agent."

    I think part of it is "moral license." No one feels bad about screwing a bank seller out of the highest & best offer... so, yes, there are probably times where an otherwise honest agent wouldn't have an issue screwing the seller over, when the seller is a big financial institution and not a person/family.

  • Attorney · Northbrook, IL · Member since 2017 · 719 posts · 549 votes
    8y

    @Sahana R. You are not imagining it. REO properties on the south side are notorious for keys going missing. I've rarely felt the listing agent kept the keys. The more common problem is when using a combo lockbox on a property being shown by multiple agents, its extremely hard to track how many people are showing the property and when. Some agents don't want to be bothered and just give the combo to clients. Either the agents or the buyers view the property and keep the keys in an effort to keep competition for getting access. I've had listing agents tell me they replaced keys on a REO listing several times a week.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    @Bob Floss II Yes, I was looking on the south side. It is very frustrating. You're right, I doubt the listing agent was doing it, because he did replace them a few times. But after other agents/buyers viewed the property, we could not find the key. 

    "I've had listing agents tell me they replaced keys on a REO listing several times a week." - WOW!

  • Real Estate Broker · Provo, UT · Member since 2013 · 689 posts · 511 votes
    8y

    I never hide a lockbox - the location is ALWAYS in the listing - however, in a rougher neighborhood it's not exactly a wise decision to put the box right out in plain sight.  I've caught countless crackheads in my properties over the years - and often times sitting right next to them is a broken lockbox, and in their backpack is a pair of bolt cutters and a hacksaw.  I've probably confiscated 30 bolt cutters in the last 5 years.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    8y

    I know crackheads aren't the smartest but wouldn't it be 10x easier to just break a window?

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Greeley, CO · Member since 2012 · 42 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Yes I have ran into this as well or you open the lockbox and the key is missing.   In my experience, the listing Realtor is trying to get both the listing and buyer broker fees and likely has a buyer lined up.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.