OKC Investor looking for advice on areas to buy!

OKC Investor looking for advice on areas to buy!

Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 12 votes

Hope that everyone had a great holiday season. Since first posting several months back I have been reading, listening to podcosts/audiobooks, and trying to research the area. I have become really interested in the idea of purchasing a duplex or multi-unit property and "house hacking" it. Ideally a property that requires some work so I can add some value to it as well. I haven't yet reached out to a real estate agent because I am still trying to determine what exactly I am looking for.

Mainly, I don't know OKC that well. I worked there briefly before being moved for work and now I am just returning. There are very few multi-family properties listed online it seems and most are in areas that I am not familiar with. Specifically, it seems theses type of properties are more common in the southern portion of OKC. I am not familiar with this part of town and see that home values vary a lot from block to block... 

These are neighborhoods that seem to me would be good for what I am trying to do if there is a property available in them. (Gatewood, Mesta Park, Hertigage hills east, Lincoln terrace, paseo, crown heights) Any feedback on these areas?

Also any recommendations as far as a good real estate agent who can help me hunt would be appreciated!

Thanks so much

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Rhett TullisBusiness Member
Property Manager · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 617 votes
8y

there are some great properties out there but they are fewer and farther between than they used to be.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Gulf Breeze, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 733 votes
    8y

    I can’t help you with Okc @Joe Miller but have a few items on my site that might interest you. Good luck !

  • Rhett TullisBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 617 votes
    8y

    there are some great properties out there but they are fewer and farther between than they used to be.

  • Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    @Zach Sikes  Thanks for reaching out. I sent you an email to follow up!

  • Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    @Jay Helms Thanks for reaching out Jay! I am definitely going to read through the posts on your site and follow up with any questions I might have! I have been focusing on reading a ton of books on the topic so its nice to read some about it being put to use!

  • Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    @Rhett Tullis  Do you have any advice for me moving forward?  I want to take the next step and start to evaluate/make the move on a property that can be both my home and a step into real estate investing!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Edmond, OK · Member since 2016 · 209 posts · 107 votes
    8y

    @Joe Miller I would encourage you to do some driving. Immerse yourself in the areas you are considering. Statistics and web reviews can only provide so much information. While analyzing deals online drive the neighborhoods.   

  • Rental Property Investor · OKLAHOMA CITY, OK · Member since 2016 · 65 posts · 103 votes
    8y

    To piggy-back on what @Rocky Griffin said, use the crime statistics on a website like Trulia to help distinguish good and bad neighborhoods. Even call the local police department and ask them what they think of the neighborhood. For example, Lincoln Terrace - which is a neighborhood you mentioned - is a highly desirable neighborhood right now for flips, but immediately to the east of that is a crime and gang ridden area that you would probably want to avoid. I am not from Oklahoma City and when I moved here this summer I bought a 10-speed bike to ride around and look at particular areas I thought I would be interested in. There is no way to tell what a neighborhood is really like by looking at it online, the best way to know an area is to get on foot/bike/car and actually go to that spot. Another tip I have picked up along the way is to always look at a neighborhood at least three times - once in the morning, in the afternoon, and at night. Neighborhoods that seem fine during the day may be a completely different atmosphere at night. 

    p.s. I have a 4-plex in a great area in OKC I could send you to look at if you are interested! @Joe Miller

  • Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Hey @Alex Owens I might be interested in that 4-plex! Could you send me some details?

  • Claremore, OK · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    @alex Owens - I’d be interested in information on the 4-plex you have for sale?
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.