Charged too much for partial appraisal?

Charged too much for partial appraisal?

Omaha, NE · Member since 2017 · 46 posts · 24 votes

I have my first property under contract right now and I'm set to close in mid-January. I ran into some issues with my financing a couple weeks ago. The issue came during the appraisal process when they found out the property was zoned general commercial. The loan was residential, so they halted the appraisal right there until I could get a conditional use permit for residential. I called the city weeks prior and they said the property was "grandfathered in" to allow for residential living, but the appraiser needed an official permit which would mean city inspections and improvements to get everything up to code (which would take way too long). The seller is motivated and wants to get out quickly, so I ended up switching to commercial financing to keep everything moving forward.

Everything is fine with my financing now, but the appraiser is still charging me $225 for the research and trip they took to the property. The full price of the appraisal is $650. This cancellation fee seems high to me, as they could have found out it was zoned commercial without a whole lot of research and not taken a trip to the property at all. They said this is the standard cancellation fee, although they won't send any documentation that states this. I don't have a good understanding of the appraisal process, so maybe they put in a lot of work upfront that I'm unaware of?

The $225 is not a large amount of money and it seems like it's probably in my best interest to just pay it and move on, but I wanted to get the opinions of more experienced investors. Thanks!!

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
8y

Seems pretty reasonable to me as they probably spent at least 3 hours on this.  Say a half hour each way to property, an hour at the property, and another hour starting the research and report.  Would you work for 3 hours with no compensation?

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    8y

    Seems pretty reasonable to me as they probably spent at least 3 hours on this.  Say a half hour each way to property, an hour at the property, and another hour starting the research and report.  Would you work for 3 hours with no compensation?

  • Omaha, NE · Member since 2017 · 46 posts · 24 votes
    8y
    Russell Brazil my thought is that they if they spent an hour on research and found it was zoned commercial then why visit the property at all knowing we can't move forward? I'm not trying to say they don't deserve any compensation, just that I think $225 is high for a little bit of research.
  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Harbor, FL · Member since 2016 · 91 posts · 43 votes
    8y
    Also take into account the opportunity cost of not taking another (fully paid) order while working on your property.
  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    8y
    Write them a letter and explain that you believe you both share responsibility for the cancellation and had they done their job with more upfront information, which is an easy thing in their field, both parties would have very early on been aware of the zoning/appraisal incompatibility. Tell them you feel like a split of the cancellation is fair and include a check for half. Might or might not work.
  • Omaha, NE · Member since 2017 · 46 posts · 24 votes
    8y

    @Angelo C. I see where you're coming from with the opportunity cost, but I don't necessarily agree that it is my concern if it is their fault. You can say the same think about the opportunity cost of my $225 that I could have used for marketing, maintenance, etc. Overall, I think the issue is that I was thought the appraisal process was research, trip to property, and then write the report...but it seems like I had steps 1 and 2 backwards. Since they did put in the trip and the research I am just going to send over the payment and put this one behind me.

    @Marian Smith thank you for the suggestion. I totally agree that they should have seen it sooner, but at the same time I should have mentioned it to the lender when I found it was zoned commercial. I thought calling the zoning department and getting the okay from them was enough, but I think if I would have mentioned it to my lender he probably would have told me that he can't do the loan. Lesson learned... on to the next one!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.