Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 31 posts · 2 votes
So if I am looking a legal 4-unit multi-family at a list price of $899,000, would I be able to find a lender who is willing to approve an FHA loan with 3.5% down?
Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
8y
Lending Tree is a joke of a source. Find a Local fha lender, preferably Not a big bank as they often have overlays more restrictive than the fha guidelines.
Yes they will lend to you, but not as an FHA loan. HUD writes the guidelines, and lenders follow the limits they are given.
I don't understand.
If not FHA, then what?
A legal 4 has a loan limit of $703k. You can buy it for whatever you want, you just pay the difference between the purchase price and the loan limit. Here are the Chicago specific loan limits for FHA and the 5% down conventional program
Yes they will lend to you, but not as an FHA loan. HUD writes the guidelines, and lenders follow the limits they are given.
I don't understand.
If not FHA, then what?
A legal 4 has a loan limit of $703k. You can buy it for whatever you want, you just pay the difference between the purchase price and the loan limit. Here are the Chicago specific loan limits for FHA and the 5% down conventional program
But I was on the lendingTree website. For a purchase price of more than 300,000 the query outputted no lenders for FHA loans.
Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
8y
Lending Tree is a joke of a source. Find a Local fha lender, preferably Not a big bank as they often have overlays more restrictive than the fha guidelines.
Yes they will lend to you, but not as an FHA loan. HUD writes the guidelines, and lenders follow the limits they are given.
I don't understand.
If not FHA, then what?
A legal 4 has a loan limit of $703k. You can buy it for whatever you want, you just pay the difference between the purchase price and the loan limit. Here are the Chicago specific loan limits for FHA and the 5% down conventional program
But I was on the lendingTree website. For a purchase price of more than 300,000 the query outputted no lenders for FHA loans.
I don't know about lending tree, find a local lender. Either way you can't put 3.5% down on that property.
I am glad to answer any FHA questions that you have. FHA is a low down payment program only requiring you to pay 3.5% down. Cook County has a limit of $703,250 as you have stated. Conventional has a limit of $815,650 but you will be required to put down a minimum of 20%. You would have to pay the difference as well above any of these ceiling limits. The only financing that will go above these limits would be a Jumbo loan, but that is going to be difficult for a 4 unit property.
FHA also has a self sufficiency rule, that you have to when you to abide by when you are Purchasing a 3-4 unit multi-family - The full fair market rent determined by the appraiser must meet or exceed the mortgage payment. Also including a 25% vacancy factor.
I am always glad to answer any questions that you have on FHA Financing.
@Brie Schmidt has an excellent reputation on this site and can guide you with finding a property that fits your budget, and qualifications.
Yes they will lend to you, but not as an FHA loan. HUD writes the guidelines, and lenders follow the limits they are given.
I don't understand.
If not FHA, then what?
A legal 4 has a loan limit of $703k. You can buy it for whatever you want, you just pay the difference between the purchase price and the loan limit. Here are the Chicago specific loan limits for FHA and the 5% down conventional program
UPDATE: Chicago increases the conventional loan limits as of Monday