Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Felipe Mejia
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
HISPANIC/LATINO REAL ESTATE INVESTING

Felipe Mejia
  • Nashville, TN
Posted Nov 7 2017, 12:50

I would love to hear some stories from my fellow hispanic/latino real estate investors. As a second generation Mexican,I knew no one in my family or close friends who did real estate. It wasn't till i realized that my mom had been house hacking all her life that it really clicked for me. Boom 4 units laters, I feel like the wheels are finally turning for me!! 

User Stats

Votes
Rene NA
Votes |

Que dice amigo! Just joined BP and I'm glad I came across your post. What you have described is essentially what I would love to accomplish in the next two years. Heres to passive income! Suerte y siempre para adelante! 

User Stats

Votes
Manuel Hernandez Medina
  • Pensacola, Fl
Votes |
  • Pensacola, Fl
Replied Jul 15 2019, 00:28

@Felipe Mejia, I just heard the podcast episode that you were featured in and was left inspired.  I myself am a second generation Mexican and have been motivated to learning as much as I can about real estate by reading books, forums, and listening to podcasts such as the one you were featured on.  I'm a pilot in the US Air Force and move around a lot, but am originally from North Carolina.  As you may know, NC is big into agriculture and therefore have many immigrants working in the fields who need a place to live, especially in the summers.  I am looking into buying my first rental property (likely a mobile home) and catering to them.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge and advice through the podcast.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Medina
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
  • Asheville, NC
Replied Jul 27 2019, 18:32

Hola Tivorones, I'm a Cuban that is Bi-Coastal living part time in California and commuting to where my family is in WNC, Asheville. Originally born in NJ, but raised in Miami like most Cubans. I've been dabbling in the world of RE for the past couple of years and now taking some serious steps moving forward with some MHP deals. I have a MHP now under contract that has lots of nuestros compadres living there. I did purchase a four plex in Napa, CA a couple of years back, a super long rehab and now getting ready to get tenants. I will eventually flip it once its cash flowing well and 1031 into something a bit bigger. I will soon listen to that episode and hope to hear what you have going on, Felipe! Mucha Paz!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 27 2020, 04:53

Kinda late but hey, why not answer. So I'm still in the "prepping" stage of investing, learning all I can. I really enjoyed your BP episode Felipe, really got me pumped! I reached out to you on IG immediately after hearing it, I was that inspired. 

User Stats

Votes
Diana Dorantes
  • Channahon, IL
Votes |
  • Channahon, IL
Replied Oct 20 2020, 13:14

@Felipe Mejia @Rene NA @Manuel Hernandez Medina @Robert Medina @Yezenia Hernandez

Hola Companeros!  I wish I would have seen this earlier but as Yezenia said better late than never. 1st generation here.  (I was 2 when moved to the States)  Tried in 2013 but had ALOT to learn.  Found BP end of 2017, listened to all the podcasts (some 2-3 times).  Now things are so much smoother.  By end of 2020 should be at 11 properties.

Best of luck to everyone.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 23 2020, 14:19
Originally posted by @Diana Dorantes:

@Felipe Mejia @Rene NA @Manuel Hernandez Medina @Robert Medina @Yezenia Hernandez

By end of 2020 should be at 11 properties.

WOW that's amazing! I want to grow up to be you lol (except I'm likely older than you)!

User Stats

Votes
Evelyn Badia
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Oct 23 2020, 14:27

Even later than others.. 

My mom bought a home in Puerto Rico BY HERSELF when I was around 7 years old. So the love of RE comes from her. She now owns the one next to her and is house hacking. 

I bought my first home with my then-husband at 22 and sold it right away. 

Then bought my first apartment at 30 (on my own), bought another.. sold the first, sold the second, and bought my current home. I'm now selling that house where I was house hacking and Airbnb for the last 10 years.  

Now about to 1031 and really dive into real estate. or so it feels. 

I'll do a podcast episode about how 10k turned into 1.5 million. 

User Stats

Votes
Karla Madera
  • New to Real Estate
  • Alexandria, VA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Alexandria, VA
Replied Jan 9 2021, 15:10

Mejor tardecito que nunca ! Hola todos !!  I just joined the BP community this week! I am a DomiRican from NY currently living in DC. No one in my family really does real estate except for my mom which rents in PR and a couple houses in Dominican Republic but these were things that happened by chance (DR houses were inherited and PR was our primary residence when I was little) ...  on that note I am looking to get my first ever property around July. While I am extra nervous I am trying to make this an investing opportunity and decided to house hack or buy a place to rehab which I can later rent - let’s see how the DC market treats me.

Suerte a todos y un placer ! 

Ps. Any pointers or resources outside this community are totally welcome ! 

User Stats

Votes
Joaquin Camarasa
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Springfield VA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Springfield VA
Replied Jan 9 2021, 20:50

Ya tocaba un poquito de español por aqui! Un saludo a todos!

User Stats

Votes
Karla Madera
  • New to Real Estate
  • Alexandria, VA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Alexandria, VA
Replied Jan 10 2021, 04:57

@Joaquin Camarasa la verdad que si ! Y más emocionada todavía de ver que usted está en mi área ! It’s like a sign - haha! 
Once I finish doing my homework and narrow everything down, I really hope we can connect. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Lambert
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • The Americas and Europe
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Jan 10 2021, 09:50

@Felipe Mejia

I remember your episode! Great show!

I'm neither Latino nor American so I'm not sure I can be very helpful with Latino investing in the US. But, did you know that your beautiful country of origin Mexico also has plenty of exciting real estate investment opportunities? I've been investing there for a few years now, helped many others to do so and written about in many posts on BiggerPockets. I've been setting the record straight so many times against unwarranted criticism and ignorance about the country and its state of affairs  (while acknowledging its issues) that maybe the government should make me a honorary citizen! ;-)

@Karla Madera

I love the Dominican Republic as a country, for its people and as a real estate investment destination too. I'm currently working on a project there and have shared my knowledge about the country here too. So feel free to read my posts on the subject and contact me if you need any further help.

Most importantly, Mexicans, Dominicans and Latinos from other countries, you're all awesome! And, on top, thanks for teaching us how to live and party! :-)

User Stats

Votes
Karla Madera
  • New to Real Estate
  • Alexandria, VA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Alexandria, VA
Replied Jan 12 2021, 14:20

@Mike Lambert 

I am so happy to hear that you invest in the DR. Will definitely look at your post and thank you so much for offering your help I will keep that in mind. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 8 2021, 20:11

@Mike Lambert I'm curious about the nature of your investments in Mexico, geo area, type of investment, etc?

User Stats

Votes
Mike Lambert
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Feb 8 2021, 20:52

@Yezenia Hernandez

I started with pre-construction short-term rentals in the Riviera Maya, since it's Mexico's and one of the world's main tourist destinations and so the profitability has been very high there. I've lately been working on doing the same in Puerto Vallarta.

I'm also working on putting a group of buyers together to do our own developments together with local associates.

Have you invested in Mexico yourself?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 24 2021, 19:58

Hola mi gente! I'm glad I found this thread; I was looking for a community of Latino investors a while back and couldn't find one so I created my own. I'm hosting a series on interviews on IG Live starting this Tuesday. Would love to connect with you and if you are open to it, have you on an interview sharing your experiences as an investor. Check it out at REILatinx on Instagram
https://instagram.com/reilatin...

User Stats

Votes
Eric James
  • Malakoff, TX
Votes |
  • Malakoff, TX
Replied Jul 24 2021, 21:03

My wife is a first generation Mexican immigrant and she loves real estate. Only thing is she'd buy anything. Vacant lots, houses that need to be demolished, etc. She just loves the idea of owning real estate.