Real estate agent lied, causing me to miss out on a deal

Real estate agent lied, causing me to miss out on a deal

Rowland Heights, CA · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes

My apologies if this post isn't the clearest. I'm really frustrated right now. I found what looked like it had high potential to be my first deal on the MLS yesterday.

Long story short, my realtor claimed that she couldn't get a hold of the listing agent and asked me if I'd be available Saturday. I thought that sounded weird, but didn't think much of it and just gave her my schedule and told her we'd like to see the property ASAP and to keep me in the loop. Today, I notice that the house is pending. After contacting my realtor, I decided to call the listing agent myself. He told me that my agent never contacted him and he had two people who looked at the property yesterday, with the second one offering to buy the property. He said he felt bad about ratting out another agent, but that he hadn't received any other calls on it. 

Besides complaining to her agency/leaving her a negative review, what else can I do?????? I chose this realtor because she had really great reviews and when I was contacting listing agents myself, most of them would never get back to me. Can I report her to the Association of Realtors?

We were planning on using this property as a buy and hold while living there if the numbers matched up, so it makes this whole thing 10x more frustrating. 

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

Sounds like it's time to cut ties and move on. Sorry for the issues, but I'm sure we all go through learning curves in this business.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    What exactly did your agent say she tried to do to contact the agent? Is it possible she emailed and didn't put a call in? Not that it makes the situation any better, however before I was going to call the broker or the board I would probably call the agent and ask why the selling agent had not received a call from her. Let her tell her side of the story, as you never know.

  • Rowland Heights, CA · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    The listing agent doesn't have any email addresses listed anywhere. He's an older guy, so I don't think he uses them. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2014 · 730 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    This is why I got my RE license. Most buyer's agents are useless. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Nicole S. I see. I would still give the benefit of the doubt and ask your agent why you hear they never reached out. Call the agent out and let them scramble to try and fix the issue... or move on to someone else.

  • Rowland Heights, CA · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brian Pulaski:

    @Nicole S. I see. I would still give the benefit of the doubt and ask your agent why you hear they never reached out. Call the agent out and let them scramble to try and fix the issue... or move on to someone else.

     
    I already contacted her. She hasn't gotten back to me. Although it's already clear that she's lying since she was asking me if I was available on Saturday while claiming she was unable to get a hold of the listing agent (because if she hadn't been able to get a hold of him, she'd have no idea whether or not he'd be available on Saturday). 


    I contacted the realtor agency that employed her. Apparently she was fired months ago for poor performance and not following their "core values". Ugh. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Sounds like it's time to cut ties and move on. Sorry for the issues, but I'm sure we all go through learning curves in this business.

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Nicole S. Between this and your non-paying tenants, you've got a lot going on! I'm not sure there is a whole lot you can do other than what you mentioned. What exactly do you want to see happen? What is worth your time and effort? There are always deals to be found, so it's not like she made you lose the last one in the world. Simply move on to the next agent. Or find the properties on your own and reach out to the listing agents directly if you want.

  • Real Estate Agent · Palm Beach Gardens, FL · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 124 votes
    8y

    Just my 2 cents.  If you call the listing agents and they don't call back after several attempts I would call the RE office and ask for the broker and let him/her know that you can't reach the listing agent after several attempts.  I find that even as an agent I sometimes have to call and call to get what I want.  It is amazing how some people can be so lazy in this business and do no service to their sellers and buyers.  Answering the phone is becoming a rare event, unfortunately.

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    If I had more time today, I would be interested in seeing if the agent breached a duty of loyalty owed to you as you real estate agent.   You may want to do some research  or call http://www.nysar.com/top-navigation/professional-standards . 

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    The listing agent probably does not have a clue.  I had 10 agents trying to tell me they are showing my listing but I could care less until I get another offer in the eMail. Can only sell to one person.

    Even if you contact the agent I am not sure how it helps. If you trust your agent give her benefit of the doubt.

    Most buyers viewed the homes at OH and ask the listing agent to represent them these days.

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    Just get a new agent. This type of behavior is common so don't let it discourage you.

    Also, there are plenty of deals and always will be. Try not to get too hung up on any single one.

    Adapt and overcome, you'll do great. Stay focused.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nicole S.:

    The listing agent doesn't have any email addresses listed anywhere. He's an older guy, so I don't think he uses them. 

    Im a member of multiple MLS systems, and each one I am a member of requires an email address attached to the account that is displayed in the MLS. So it is entirely possible the listing agent doesnt check his email. So Id just make sure you find out the facts before doing anything you regret. Some people who are vindictive may just come back and sue for abuse of process if you start filing complaints that might have no merit.

  • Ballston Spa, NY · Member since 2014 · 84 posts · 36 votes
    8y

    Sorry to hear this. Drop this agent and move on. One of the best things I've taken away from the podcasts is don't put any emotions into this. Think of it as a lesson and keep hustling. There are more deals out there. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.