Can I buy a property in NY with a NJ LLC?

Can I buy a property in NY with a NJ LLC?

Residential Real Estate Broker · Teaneck, NJ · Member since 2015 · 61 posts · 15 votes

Silly question maybe, but can I buy a property in NY with a NJ LLC? Trying to save the LLC cost which can be upwards of $1k.

0Reply
28 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Matt LeonardPro Member
    Londonderry, NH · Member since 2015 · 98 posts · 89 votes
    8y

    Yes, you can. Not sure about NY and NJ, but up where I am I would need to pay the filing fee for the state of formation of the LLC and then pay an additional "foreign entity" fee in the state doing business, so it might end up costing you more.

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 911 votes
    8y

    Yes you can but sometimes you need to register your LLC with that state in order to own property there.

  • Custodian · Lander, WY · Member since 2017 · 59 posts · 29 votes
    8y

    Still think it would be better to open a new LLC in the state of the property.

    It could be owned by your current Nj LLC. member managed and passthrough for taxes.

    NOT Advice. just points to discuss with your team.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.