Flip, Rent or 1031 exchange on property in LA

Flip, Rent or 1031 exchange on property in LA

Flipper/Rehabber · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes

I own a SFR in a popular area of Los Angeles where rents are high and in demand. The property was my primary residence for 7 years until we purchased a larger house in 2012. We kept the property as we were under water on our mortgage at the time and felt it was better to rent and ride it out then sell for a loss. We were right on that bet and now have more than $400K equity in the property. The rent covered the mortgage and expenses but we make no cash flow on the property. Now our tenant is moving out and we have a few decisions to make. I have run the numbers for multiple scenarios and just can't make a decision on what is our best move. The issue with the home as is, is that it is old. The renovations we did 10 years ago need to be updated and we need to put some $$ into the home to rent it for a higher rent. The property is also small, two bedroom/one bath. Although rents are high for the neighborhood, you can only go so high on a two bedroom.

1. With the new laws in California, we can build a converted garage unit and rent that out as well.  Renting both units would bring in @ $6500/mth and costs would be around $3200. We could maybe add another bathroom or bedroom to the original house as well?? 

CONS:  We have to borrow $150K to make this scenario work and we have to build the additional unit as well as update the home leaving us out of pocket for expenses for @4-6 months.  

PROS: Super hot neighborhood near downtown so property will be always easy to rent and in demand. The additional unit should increase the value of the property. So we should be able to refinance after all the construction and pull the HELOC into that mortgage.

2. We sell the property as is and make a nice profit, 1031 that into a four plex and put out little no money on the exchange unless we have to fix up the four plex. If we do this right, we can have a positive cash flow with little to no money out of pocket.  That property will gain in value and try to get more properties in the next few years.  

CONS:  Easier said than done in LA, pretty hard to find a good four plex in the $1Mill price range and to actually get it over other investors. No guarantee it will be positive cash flow.  

Our tax accountant advised the 1031 exchange feeling our property might be at the peak of the market and if we buy a four plex in an emerging neighborhood we could then get the gains on that property.  It just seems really risky, so sort of scared to sell and then what if we don't find a new property.  We would love to keep the one and add another, but not sure where we can get all the $$ to do this.  We also want to grow our portfolio. I do design and have done three house flips prior to purchasing these homes. 

Any tips!!!!  

0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 65 posts · 9 votes
8y

What neighborhood in LA? Everyone has a different opinion on the status of the market in Los Angeles. I believe there will be a slight correction at some point, but Los Angeles as a city has changed a lot and I think property will continue to rise, some neighborhoods more than others. I'm not sure what a four-plex would offer you in LA. The gains in LA are made through leverage gains not cash flow and the exit strategy is much easier on a SFH than a multifamily building. If you purchase a multifamily in a different market with better cash flow it might be a good idea, but I wouldn't do it in Los Angeles. I'd suggest converting your garage into a guesthouse and rent that out so you have two rentals. You'll automatically add value and increase cash flow.

If you need any help with a garage conversion let me know.  I run a company that focuses specifically on accessory dwelling units.  Otherwise good luck and enjoy the process!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jo-Ann LapinPro Member
    Loan Officer · Tustin, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 713 votes
    8y

    For sure easier said than done on the con . The better way would always be a 4 plex as  you are insulated more when a renter vacants .

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 65 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    What neighborhood in LA? Everyone has a different opinion on the status of the market in Los Angeles. I believe there will be a slight correction at some point, but Los Angeles as a city has changed a lot and I think property will continue to rise, some neighborhoods more than others. I'm not sure what a four-plex would offer you in LA. The gains in LA are made through leverage gains not cash flow and the exit strategy is much easier on a SFH than a multifamily building. If you purchase a multifamily in a different market with better cash flow it might be a good idea, but I wouldn't do it in Los Angeles. I'd suggest converting your garage into a guesthouse and rent that out so you have two rentals. You'll automatically add value and increase cash flow.

    If you need any help with a garage conversion let me know.  I run a company that focuses specifically on accessory dwelling units.  Otherwise good luck and enjoy the process!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Thanks for the input. @Drew Oberholtzer the property is in silverlake. I have also looked in Kansas City (I'm from there) for multi-units but we had a condo there before and it was a bit of a nightmare to manage from LA.  We hired multiple property managers and there was too much turnover, in the managers and the tenants.  I'd like to stay local if possible.  Yes, might need help with garage conversion. 

  • Investor · Tarzana CA and Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 326 posts · 130 votes
    8y

    if it was your primary residency you dont need to pay profits on it up to 500k for a married couple, 250k single, if you have lived in property for 2 of 5 years 

    sell the property since youve owned it long enough to qualify and do something else

  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

     @Jennifer Pithie I would evaluate it as if it were a new purchase if it makes sense keep it if not you might look to the Inland Empire where you would get more for your money but still be within driving distance.  Definitely see what your return would be on investing the 150k into rehab even if it takes a couple months.  I always err on the side of holding as it reduces transaction costs but do the math and see what is best for your situation.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.