Advice on changing RE agents?

Advice on changing RE agents?

Rental Property Investor · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 6 votes

So far I have only worked with one agent, an old friend. She is a wonderful agent and from what I can tell does a great job helping people find their homes; their primary residence. But I don't think she has the investing sense that I need (for example, jumping on a property super fast in a competitive environment).  I want to try working with a different agent, one that is a fellow investor and I feel will have a better sense of our needs. Since this is my first time switching agents (which is pretty common, right?), do you have any advice on how to do this in a way that doesn't burn any bridges? We live in a small area so I want to keep my options open and not cause any hurt feelings. I know there are a lot of people who wouldn't care about this, but I do and would love some helpful advice if you have done this.

Thanks!

0Reply
14 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    If you value the relationship with your current agent / old friend, I'd suggest sitting down with her and letting her know exactly what you need and what you would like her to do differently.

    If she feels like she can perform, let her try.  If she can, everybody wins.  If not, then it might be time for a different agent.

    Money comes pretty easily.  Good relationships are hard to create - and they matter a lot more in the end.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 577 posts · 240 votes
    9y

    Zoe. I agree with Charlie above. 

    I would sit down your old friend and tell her what you are trying to accomplish. See if she can perform and give her a couple weeks. When and if she doesn't perform let her know that you are going to look around and talk to some other agents but will reach out to her if she can help with anything moving forward. You need to build up your business and time is money. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Thanks for your answers. I guess I'm more confused now more than ever. Is it not a normal process to try out several different agents until you find the best fit for your goals? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.