I need advice on my Mother's property

I need advice on my Mother's property

Long Beach, CA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I have a very stubborn mother who lives alone in a rural town. She's in her 90s now and it's time for her to live somewhere else where she'll be taken care of. We've been trying to sell her house. She does have a realtor and a few people have seen the house. 

Unfortunately, she never took care of her home. It's in extreme need of repairs. There's bad termite damage, the pipes are old, the electrical are old, and so on. So we were so happy when we got an offer and the buyer was willing to take care of the up front costs and removing anything we've left behind. But she declined the offer saying it was too low! I wanted to rip my hair out! I don't know what to do. I know we'll never get another offer as good as this. 

FYI, I live in a different state so it's hard for me to be there to try and convince her to change her mind. Her realtor tried talking to her and some relatives too. But she's so stubborn and hard headed. She thinks she'll really get a way much higher offer even though we've shown her what the state estimates the value of her property. I would truly appreciate any advice or help.

Frustrated

0Reply
8 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Westlake Village, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 781 votes
    9y

    How far off was the offer from what she wants? Perhaps she is just really not ready to face the reality of moving.  

    Would she be open to receiving the difference carrying back a note? 

  • Long Beach, CA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Over 100k difference. She seems in denial with everything these days even wth her health and safety. How would the note work? 

  • Investor · West Hartford, CT · Member since 2015 · 102 posts · 29 votes
    9y
    If she's anything Ike my grandparents she isn't ready to move and no offer will change that. Sounds like she is set in her way and likes the comfort of her own home. She'll move when she's ready and that will probably be never.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.