Frame in Florida - as opposed to CBS; multi-family and SFH

Frame in Florida - as opposed to CBS; multi-family and SFH

Rental Property Investor · GA · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 10 votes

Hey y'all. Anyone have any experience with long term frame investments in Florida? 

Where is the property up to after 5 years? Ten years? 

Any significant difference between single family and multi-family deterioration? 

Is it different from frame anywhere else? Humidity maybe?

Why is frame in Florida a bad idea? 

Thank y'all in advance. 

Meirah 

0Reply
53 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
9y

Contrary to what some believe, CBS homes can also get termite damage. I own one frame home and the biggest issue for me is the cost of insurance vs insurance of a CBS home. The frame home I own is worth 75% less than the CBS homes but the insurance quotes were almost double. For this reason I chose to self insure on the frame home and only carry liability. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    It's a bad idea because of the humidity and termites. It's a good idea if you can get the property cheaper than block. We have a lot more frame houses here in Tampa than you do down in Miami, you've had hurricanes blow down the old frame houses, only the concrete bunkers survive down there. 

    Most of the frame houses down here are bungalows, they're great to flip, they look awesome, but for rentals I would prefer block.

  • Investor · North Charleston, SC · Member since 2017 · 277 posts · 91 votes
    9y

    Hello Meirah,

    I grew up in a frame home in Jax.  We sold it after my Mom had lived there over 50 years.

    It was built with a crawl space and metal "termite shields on each post and the CB foundation.  I am not sure if the block was poured full of concrete like is done now.  I have also built a new home on St Simons Island, GA. It is frame and built with metal "termite Shield" just like my childhood home.  All the block was poured full of concrete with a Lentil type block and bolt downs to meet modern wind code.  Also the ground was treated and we have termite inspection bond.   I don't recall ever having seen a termite man around my childhood house although my Mom lived there by herself most of that 50 years.

    So I would not be afraid of a frame home in Florida.  You do need a CL-100 and I would do a termite bond on the rental.

    Many Florida home are CB (block) homes. I have a couple of rentals that are.  One of my CB homes has a crawl space and wood floor and frame interior walls so you may well have the same issues as a frame home.  The other rental is on a concrete slab and block exterior walls.  There is one species of termite that builds a mud tunnel up the side of a CB wall to get to the eve and roof framing.  I have only seen this type in Aruba but I am told they are in the South as well.

    Hope this helps.

    Cheers,

    Buddy

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    9y

    Contrary to what some believe, CBS homes can also get termite damage. I own one frame home and the biggest issue for me is the cost of insurance vs insurance of a CBS home. The frame home I own is worth 75% less than the CBS homes but the insurance quotes were almost double. For this reason I chose to self insure on the frame home and only carry liability. 

  • Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I agree with @John Thedford.  Insurance is the big killer on frame homes.  I flipped a frame home earlier this year, and the annualized insurance cost was $4400 on a $300K ish home. The named storm coverage was almost half that amount.  

    Termites can be a big issue, but ensure you get a certified termite inspector to bring their detection dogs through beforehand. It's amazing what they can sniff out.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.