Realestate agent needed for a cash offer on a flip?

Realestate agent needed for a cash offer on a flip?

Edgewater, NJ · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 0 votes

I am going to make some cash offers on some houses to flip so i need to try to save money anyway i can. But i am wondering if i need a realestate agent or not. How much % of the buy does realestate agents get in NJ from the buyers side usually? 

Also if i do decide to do this alone, what things am i going to have to do exactly? I am guessing i have to hire a lawyer to check the title and other things? Also my contractor will go through the as is house for his bid on rehab before i make the offer. So what exactly do i need the real estate agent for that i cant do myself? Stuff like comps i can just use zillow or mls to find myself i assume. (Even though my next thing i am going to do is get my realestate license).

Can someone tell me what % i owe the realestate agent as a buyer? I know it will be included in closing costs but trying to figure out how much . I will be looking to flip in NJ.

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Johnson City, TN · Member since 2014 · 586 posts · 705 votes
9y

if I am selling a property and the buyer brings in an agent then I RAISE my selling price to pay the buyers agent. Don't let anyone kid you that YOUR  representation is free for you.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    9y

    As a buyer you typically pay zero to the agent. They are paid by the seller, so you won't be saving any money. Instead the listing agent will make double.

  • Edgewater, NJ · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    so if I didn't get a agent the closing costs would be exactly the same?

  • Real Estate Agent/Investor · Peoria, AZ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Nirzhar Kar

    As a buyer, your closing costs do not include real estate commissions. Unless the seller agrees to cover your closing costs as part of a deal not to use an agent or something like that, your costs would be the same with or without an agent representing you.

  • Real Estate Agent · Deptford, NJ · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 17 votes
    9y
    Nirzhar Kar On the buying side you should get an agent as it costs nothing on your part. The seller covers commissions most of the time and the agent will take care of all of the tedious work such as contracts etc. if you ever have any questions feel free to pm me.
  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    I agree with everyone you should get an agent to represent you as a buyer since it ultimately costs you nothing and they have the experience. The only time it would make sense not to is if you're able to negotiate a better deal directly with the seller contingent on no agent being involved.

  • Johnson City, TN · Member since 2014 · 586 posts · 705 votes
    9y

    if I am selling a property and the buyer brings in an agent then I RAISE my selling price to pay the buyers agent. Don't let anyone kid you that YOUR  representation is free for you.

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 885 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed Nailed it! My kinda guy.

  • Real Estate Agent · Garden City, NY · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Ken Min The Buyer's agent is paid by the seller from the seller's proceeds. Don't mix up price of the house and who pays what. If the seller is paying commission to a listing agent the buyer doesn't pay commission. Period. The listing agent splits the commission based on the listing agreement. Only time you'll see a buyer having to pay commission is when it's a FSBO and the seller refuses to pay a commission and you already have a buyer broker agreement with the agent. Then the buyer would have to pay the agent, but usually you increase the offer enough to cover the fee so it goes on the loan and you don't have to pay out of pocket.
  • Johnson City, TN · Member since 2014 · 586 posts · 705 votes
    9y

    @Christopher Phillips Your argument is about like me hiring a roofer to reroof my house and he gives me an estimate that includes all materials. I then proceed to tell everyone that the shingles on my house were free to me. The money has to come from somewhere in a real estate transaction to pay the agents. Agents say that it comes from the seller which is technically true on the closing statement but it also shows that the funds it is being withdrawn from come from the BUYER. No sane person can argue that agents aren't getting a piece of the pie. In reality, their pie probably comes from both halves. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Garden City, NY · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Account Closed

    Uh, your roofing example makes no sense. :-)

    But I understand what you're getting at.

    From a purely technical standpoint, the buyer isn't paying the commission, the seller is.

    No one is saying that the listing agent is "free," but it's the seller's burden to bear it in most transactions regardless of how much they sell their house above or below list price.

    Yes, pure semantics, the buyer cut a check for the house. But the seller's closing costs will be the same if there is a listing agent involved with or without a buyer's agent. So, in that scenario, a buyer would be better with their own representation.

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 885 votes
    9y

    @Christopher Phillips @Account Closed I echo Tim's observation. He clearly understands the actual economics underlying buying and selling properties.

    "Yes, pure semantics, the buyer cut a check for the house.

    When it involves $18,000 of additional fees and costs, of MY money, it ain't semantics. ;-)

    But the seller's closing costs will be the same if there is a listing agent involved with or without a buyer's agent."  This Statement Is Not True - I don't EVER use an agent and I get the agent's fees (price reduced) removed all the time - I act as my own buyer's agent. I haven't had a seller yet who said they wouldn't sell just because I am not an agent and don't have an agent.

  • Edgewater, NJ · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    so is my closing costs the same when I have agent vs if I don't? Lol (buyer not seller)

  • Real Estate Agent · Garden City, NY · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Account Closed

    I specifically stated when a listing agent is involved.

    Obviously, if you sell it on your own an agent isn't involved.

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 885 votes
    9y

    @Christopher Phillips I'm talking about when I am BUYING off of the MLS. I would NEVER have a listing agent involved on both sides of the transaction. Conflict of interest. If the seller and listing agent won't forgo the 3% buying agent's fee, there isn't a sale and I walk. Works every time. Nothing personal, there are people who need agents. I don't.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y

    I buy solo as well and simply offer 3% less or require 3% back for closing costs.

    I state that I will remain unrepresented so long as my offer is not countered. I receive a 3% discount. No way a buyer's agent is 'free'.

    That said, If you are new - a quality buyer's agent can be worth much more to you than 3%. Just don't think they cost you nothing.

  • Real Estate Agent · Garden City, NY · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Account Closed

    I agree with you 100%, Ken.

    If it's off market and you know what you're doing then you don't need an agent.

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 885 votes
    9y

    @Christopher Phillips 

    "If it's off market and you know what you're doing then you don't need an agent." isn't what I said.

    I said if it is LISTED in the MLS etc/

    @Steve Vaughan You said what I meant l-)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.