First Potential Deal - California Triplex

First Potential Deal - California Triplex

Real Estate Agent · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 8 votes

Hi everyone,

My name is Brad and this is my second post on BP Forums. 

I've been endlessly searching for duplex's and triplex's in Northern California for my first deal. So far I have found a couple possible listings with the help of my local Real Estate Investor friendly agent, Wes Blackwell, including this property below.

Just thought I would kindly ask for some additional eyes to look at this deal with me.

Triplex - SFH with a 2 Unit duplex on the adjacent property.

1 Bedroom - 1 Bath, roughly 900 SQ feet for each unit. Having 2 structures (with the SFH on its own property/yard) is an appealing aspect of this deal. The SFH will definitely have more upward potential for rent.

Purchase Price - $260-280k

I'm always jealous when I hear some of the low prices that are referenced on the BP podcasts & forums. The high prices are a hindrance here in California, however I feel that if I can make things work here (in CA), I will be able to succeed in other states in the future. 

Down Payment - 20% - $52,000 / $56,000

30 year conventional. Interest rate around 4.5%

Estimated Repairs - $12,500

Estimation, as this is my first deal I still have a bit to learn about this side of Real-Estate investing. Also, have not even SEEN the inside yet. This can go upwards or downwards from this figure (most likely up). I have the resources to either complete many of the repairs myself or with family connections. 

ARV - $340k

(Will have a more accurate figure soon)

Current Rent - $800 per unit x 3 = $2,400

Appears below market rent for the area. 

Based on my research thus far, the SFH should rent for ^$1150 easily with each side of the duplex going for around $1000. My goal is to achieve $3000+ per month for all of the units fully rented. This will require some repair and upgrading to achieve these prices but I am fully confident it will generate close to this. Additionally, there are strong forecasts for the Sacramento area in terms of rent prices increasing in the near future.

Property Manager - 8 / 9% of rent income - $250

I have decided very early on that I will not self-manage. I'm too nice for this job and cannot see myself demanding for a tenants payment if they request to pay a couple days over the due date. I feel as if I would always allow it (not good). Because of this, I have already found a great local source for Property Management.

Purchase Cap Rate: 9.85%

I ran all of these figures into the Rental Property Calculator here on BP, above is the estimated Purchase Cap Rate. I included 5% vacancy and 6.5% repairs/expenses. 

Please let me know of any initial thoughts that you may have solely based on the numbers. Obviously, there are a number of other factors that can affect the success or failure of an investment. After taking a look at this property yesterday, it has passed the (I would live there myself) test. The neighborhood appears much nicer compared to some of the past possibilities I have looked at.

I'm definitely excited and ready to start my Real-Estate investing career. Each time I listen to a BP podcast I find myself with even more motivation than before. 

Regards,

Brad Ward

2Reply
29 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    What City?  Location and economy will make a big difference.  Hope you understand that the 1/1 configuration has very limited appeal and will impact your marketability of the units.

  • Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2012 · 289 posts · 151 votes
    9y

    If your numbers are accurate, it seems like a good deal.

    3k/month for a purchase + rehab cost of ~292k is close to a 1% rent/price ratio, which is better than the .85% and .95% I hit on my last two projects. Location in the city is going to make a big difference  though. If these are located in a rougher part of town, the rents might be more variable, with higher turnover costs, and less favorable appreciation. In that case, that 1% number would have much less meaning.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    @Jeff B. The property is located in Orangevale. And I'm definitely aware of the 1/1 limitations. Potentially could add a second bedroom onto the SFH in the future.

    @Derek Daun .95% is quite close to the 1%, good job! The neighborhood surrounding this property is fair (Orangevale). There are a few particular locations around Sacramento that I have been avoiding, such as Del Paso Heights.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    OK, that's near Folsom Lake in the foot hills.  Certainly a life style choice and a bedroom community IMO.  This emphasizes the 1/1 problem for you.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Bradley W.:

    Hi everyone,

    My name is Brad and this is my second post on BP Forums. 

    I've been endlessly searching for duplex's and triplex's in Northern California for my first deal. So far I have found a couple possible listings with the help of my local Real Estate Investor friendly agent, Wes Blackwell, including this property below.

    Just thought I would kindly ask for some additional eyes to look at this deal with me.

    Triplex - SFH with a 2 Unit duplex on the adjacent property.

    1 Bedroom - 1 Bath, roughly 900 SQ feet for each unit. Having 2 structures (with the SFH on its own property/yard) is an appealing aspect of this deal. The SFH will definitely have more upward potential for rent.

    Purchase Price - $260-280k

    I'm always jealous when I hear some of the low prices that are referenced on the BP podcasts & forums. The high prices are a hindrance here in California, however I feel that if I can make things work here (in CA), I will be able to succeed in other states in the future. 

    Down Payment - 20% - $52,000 / $56,000

    30 year conventional. Interest rate around 4.5%

    Estimated Repairs - $12,500

    Estimation, as this is my first deal I still have a bit to learn about this side of Real-Estate investing. Also, have not even SEEN the inside yet. This can go upwards or downwards from this figure (most likely up). I have the resources to either complete many of the repairs myself or with family connections. 

    ARV - $340k

    (Will have a more accurate figure soon)

    Current Rent - $800 per unit x 3 = $2,400

    Appears below market rent for the area. 

    Based on my research thus far, the SFH should rent for ^$1150 easily with each side of the duplex going for around $1000. My goal is to achieve $3000+ per month for all of the units fully rented. This will require some repair and upgrading to achieve these prices but I am fully confident it will generate close to this. Additionally, there are strong forecasts for the Sacramento area in terms of rent prices increasing in the near future.

    Property Manager - 8 / 9% of rent income - $250

    I have decided very early on that I will not self-manage. I'm too nice for this job and cannot see myself demanding for a tenants payment if they request to pay a couple days over the due date. I feel as if I would always allow it (not good). Because of this, I have already found a great local source for Property Management.

    Purchase Cap Rate: 9.85%

    I ran all of these figures into the Rental Property Calculator here on BP, above is the estimated Purchase Cap Rate. I included 5% vacancy and 6.5% repairs/expenses. 

    Please let me know of any initial thoughts that you may have solely based on the numbers. Obviously, there are a number of other factors that can affect the success or failure of an investment. After taking a look at this property yesterday, it has passed the (I would live there myself) test. The neighborhood appears much nicer compared to some of the past possibilities I have looked at.

    I'm definitely excited and ready to start my Real-Estate investing career. Each time I listen to a BP podcast I find myself with even more motivation than before. 

    Regards,

    Brad Ward

    I don't know jack about that location but these type properties in Cali can do great overtime. I can say I am jelly of anyone who purchased these types of properties in most of Cali the last couple decades. Yours likely will not be an exception. It is all about location in Cali...and beyond really, especially when one considers rent growth and appreciation. One thing though, I would locate the PM before the property if you are set against self managing.  Good luck!

  • Real Estate Agent · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2016 · 738 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Bradley W.

    Thanks for the mention! I'm glad I was able to find you something that meets the "I would live there myself" test since that property on Santiago you were pumped about certainly did not hahahah.

    The great thing about this property is that you could eventually split the lots if you wanted and sell one house and one duplex. That you would net you more money if you ever planned to sell.

    If you decided to add a room in the future, I'd definitely recommend doing it on the SFH unit, since tenants for that unit would be more likely to have a family and need the extra space. There are plenty of single people, childless couples, or single parents with very young children still sleeping in the room with them that will work for the 1-bedroom units.

    Besides, the top two demographics for this zip code are singles or married couples with no kids, and they total 34% of the population for the area so there's your renter right there. I'll send you the stats privately so I don't give away all my secrets hahah ;-)

  • Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2012 · 289 posts · 151 votes
    9y

    The thing about Orangeville is that it doesn't have the jobs of Roseville or Folsom. This generally makes it a second choice to those two cities based on prices. As someone who works in Folsom, I only know people who live there because it was cheaper to buy/rent. This will put price caps just below what ever those cities are running at. 1/1s might have a larger gap as renters are more likely pay a little more to live closer to work and amenities. I don't really follow the market over there though, so I could be off base.

    Originally posted by @Bradley Ward:

    .95% is quite close to the 1%, good job! The neighborhood surrounding this property is fair (Orangevale). There are a few particular locations around Sacramento that I have been avoiding, such as Del Paso Heights.

    .95% was in 2015, which is ages ago in terms of market advancement. My 2016 project was .85%. I currently don't see anything better than .75% for 2017 unless I change my strategy.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.