Canton, CT off market 4 family advice.

Canton, CT off market 4 family advice.

Contractor · Simsbury, CT · Member since 2014 · 54 posts · 13 votes

I recently purchased a 3 family 1 year ago and  I have kept in close touch with the seller during my first year owning this Bristol, CT  property and would like to think of him as a mentor but don't know him personally. He has approached me to do a electrical service upgrade on a 2 family in unionville and a 4 family in canton. During our conversation I mentioned I would like to buy a property in those areas. He said I may have something for you. I'm buying a package deal I acquired through direct mail marketing. A week goes by and he tells me the deal was 5 properties but he can only take on 4 because it's a big load to handle at once in terms of rehabbing them. The lot has 1 two family that rents for 835/750 and 2 single families that rent for 900/940. With minor upgrades and some TLC the house could rent for 1k,1k, 850, 850. All 4 properties are fully occupied with good tenants. He says the same owners Will owner finance the 5th property to me for 180,000$ which is the price they agreed on from 200,000$ @ 10% down @ 5% interest 30 year Loan with a 10 year balloon. Currently the property rents for 3,425$. Taxes are 6340 but he says I can get them lowered. Insurance is 2400$/ year. Obviously the property cash flows great. The house needs some structural improvements but I'm not worried about that. My MAIN CONCERN is the well/septic. The house uses 1 well for all four units. He mentioned that he believes there isn't any issues with the well/septic and the house is a soiled deal. I can't trust his word as its business to him. I am going to get a well/septic inspection. I'll pay the 1000$ just to be safe. I'm going to look at the house tomorrow. The owners want to close asap. I'm very concerned he is just using me to complete his deal and knows something that I don't. I don't want this to ruin my investing future if there is something that could really be wrong with the property. This property is in a B+/A- area close to collinsville center. Your opinion is greatly appreciated!

0Reply
13 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Kennett Square, PA · Member since 2012 · 45 posts · 25 votes
    9y

    Patrick, play your game not his.  Act quickly, but use your skills and experience to determine if this is a good deal for you after you inspect the properties.  You can put up some refundable good faith money, to show him that you are serious.  Get into it only eyes wide open after you have done your due diligence.

  • Rick SantasierePro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Granby, CT · Member since 2015 · 694 posts · 317 votes
    9y
    Patrick Sheridan . Get your inspection contingency for at least 7 days. I'm extremely concerned about the shared well. You will never be able to split these off of that well without doing by perc tests and digging 4 new wells. Have you called the health district to see if there is room for new fields, wells, and tanks? Start with the town, building department and tax assessor. "The owner says the taxes can be lowered..." Really? If they could, why didn't he do it? Why is he in such a hurry. Tread carefully my friend...you may be missing some major items. Get a knowledgeable agent/broker who understands what I referenced above. It might be the best $$ you ever spend (or get the seller to spend..) My $.02
  • Contractor · Simsbury, CT · Member since 2014 · 54 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    @Rick Santasiere Thanks Rick. I spoke to the sellers today and notified him I will not be purchasing the property. Just too much risk involved for me to Handel right now.

  • Investor · New Hartford, CT · Member since 2016 · 282 posts · 104 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed - I actually know the owners of that property and the other 4. I am not sure how well you know the guy interested in buying the properties or what he is going to pay for them. I got that same packet you did.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.