DEALING WITH SLUMLORD SELLER

DEALING WITH SLUMLORD SELLER

Rental Property Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 890 votes

Good Morning, Afternoon, or Evening all.

There is somebody in my area of investing that is trying to offload a lot of houses. I'm assuming that they have reached retirement and are content to sell and relax. This individual is selling houses below market value, and if the advertised gross monthly rent is accurate they would be a great deal!

The issue is that this individual does not maintain a copy of the lease agreements for any of their property, doesn't maintain profit/loss statements, and can't tell me what kind of maintenance might be needed. I am currently stationed across the country so I can't physically go look at any of the properties. Any advice on how I could attempt to verify the information, or is it worth taking the risk because an 80k property supposedly rents for 1800 a month. Is the best bet to turn my back to all of the properties listed, and ignore them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

0Reply
46 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Circleville, OH · Member since 2008 · 633 posts · 488 votes
9y

I'd pay a real estate agent in that area,  or a property manager money to go investigate them. I've had some that were in terrible condition with tenants who were not paying any rent at all and the landlord claimed everything was just fine. Wiring that was exposed,  drain problems and all sorts of crazy stuff. 

Risk can be mitigated somewhat,  but not personally investigating adds another layer of difficulty to the deal. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 54 posts · 7 votes
    9y
    I was just listening to an older podcast on BP and this guy mentioned he uses wegolook.com. I doubt they will go ask tenants questions like I would but it may get you more info.
  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 970 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I think that risk of not knowing anything is being reflected in the discounted price. I guess I would just research rents/neighborhood on Zillow/craiglist/etc. and make a decision from there if you don't have much time

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Even if the landlord does not keep records of leases, the tenants probably do.  Ask the landlord if you can give estoppel letters to the tenants and then you'll at least know what the tenants think their lease is.  If the landlord says their rent is $1800 and the tenants say it's $800, then you know you've got some issues to work through.

    Get boots on the ground to walk the property for you and take video/pictures.

  • Real Estate Agent · Circleville, OH · Member since 2008 · 633 posts · 488 votes
    9y

    I'd pay a real estate agent in that area,  or a property manager money to go investigate them. I've had some that were in terrible condition with tenants who were not paying any rent at all and the landlord claimed everything was just fine. Wiring that was exposed,  drain problems and all sorts of crazy stuff. 

    Risk can be mitigated somewhat,  but not personally investigating adds another layer of difficulty to the deal. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 890 votes
    9y

    I really appreciate the advice, and I'm glad that you are suggesting I continue looking. I was trying to justify that I wasn't walking into a blackhole, and I appreciate the optimism. Thank you very much!

  • Investor · Pueblo West, CO · Member since 2014 · 310 posts · 213 votes
    9y

    @David Pere

    I would look at rental comps on craigslist. If the comps look consistent with what the seller is claiming, I would send a real estate agent to check out the houses, take pictures and email them to you.

    It seems like the seller is disorganized. However, I don't think that makes them a slumlord.

  • Rental Property Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 890 votes
    9y

    I wouldnt use that term on my own accord, the selling agent (representing him) has stated that he is known as the slumlord of the area haha. I appreciate the advice!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.