Looking for Communties in Atlanta

Looking for Communties in Atlanta

Rafael BrownPro Member
Ashburn VA · Member since 2014 · 57 posts · 7 votes

Hi all, my wife and I are seriously considering moving to Atlanta this year. I have been doing serious research on the market (looking at homes and schools) and have narrowed it down a bit. Now this could all go out the window in a month when we come to visit. However, I'm looking for the best communities in the following school districts. Now the community suggested should either be swim/tennis/golf or swim/tennis. With regards to budget I would like to stay under $700K. 

Here are the areas:

Walton, Pope, Lassiter High School's

Johns Creek High School, Northview High School,

Our goal is to rent for a 1yr while we really understand the area and make sure it's the right fit for our family. I would really like to rent in the same school where we would end up purchasing. We currently have 2 kids in elementary school and we don't want to keep changing their schools. So, whatever elementary school we rent it, we will want to buy a house in. So it's very important that we rent where we think we will end up living long term. 

Lastly, does everyone who lives inside the 285 corridor send their children to private school? Are there any other options such as Charter Schools? If so what are they?

Thanks for your help!!!! 

Best Regards,

Rafael Brown 

1Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Roswell, GA · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 11 votes
9y

Hi Rafael,

Based on what you've  communicated it sounds like you would definitely be interested in the Johns Creek, Alpharetta, Milton possibly even Cumming (depending on where you will be working) as mentioned above. I personally live in Roswell and although I don't have children yet, I absolutely love the area and would definitely raise children here. Hope you find what you're looking for!

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Stone Mountain, GA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    You might add Tucker and nearby areas to your look at list.  It's just outside I285 on the east side, near Stone Mountain.  The two school districts you'd consider would be Tucker and Parkview.  Our kids are long grown, so I can't really speak directly to school district caliber.  I'm personally a bit skeptical of the online rankings, in terms of knowing how a child could succeed and be happy or not, versus a ranking of "top10", or in the top 100.

    We are in the Smokerise area.  There's a very nice country club here, comparatively small, underutilized (tee times never a problem) but a great facility, 18 holes, 8 courts, including 4 clay, and nice pool and competitive swim team.

    Home prices peaked years ago, dropped, and are now in what I would call a buyers market.  700K would buy a lot of house.  Don't really know what sort of rental you'd be looking for, but check it out.  If you intend to enjoy what downtown has to offer, or if employment would be downtown, you'll much prefer a commute from this area than John's Creek or Marietta.

  • Real Estate Agent · Acworth, GA · Member since 2016 · 111 posts · 14 votes
    9y

    I would say that Cobb is a GREAT area for a family. Pope and Lassiter are good districts. Johns Creek is also a great area. I would recommend Alpharetta.

  • Rafael BrownPro Member
    OP
    Ashburn VA · Member since 2014 · 57 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Thanks!!!

  • Real Estate Investor · West Columbia, SC · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 13 votes
    9y
    Johns creek, Dunwoody, Alpharetta, Roswell, east Cobb, Vikings.. even the outskirts of atl like Buford are great areas.
  • Real Estate Investor · West Columbia, SC · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 13 votes
    9y
    I meant *vinings
  • Dan MahoneyPro Member
    Financial Advisor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 256 posts · 350 votes
    9y

    @Rafael Brown I know you said you are looking for more of a "country club" suburban lifestyle, but one of the things that originally drew me to Atlanta was the possibility of having a single-family house with a backyard in the middle of the city.  I'm just suggesting you may not want to write off living in the city, even if the prospect wasn't appealing in Philly.  Relative to northern cities, Atlanta is more spread out and less urban.  The traffic, however, is every bit as bad, so make sure you know what you are getting into before you sign up for a long commute to work or your kids' school.

  • Dan MahoneyPro Member
    Financial Advisor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 256 posts · 350 votes
    9y

    @Rafael Brown And I think you were maybe being a little bit facetious, but of course the vast majority of people inside the perimeter send their kids to public school.  There are also great private schools and many charter school options.  

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 65 posts · 29 votes
    9y

    Inside 285, choose near Down-town Decatur area 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Heck, Grant Park has a pool and tennis courts, but the pool is not open year round.

    Their Charter school is pretty good and depending on the size of the yard you want, the lots are typically 50' wide and average 150' deep. 

    Most houses are in the 350-500K range

    But the most important criteria should be the area that you'll be working in, because the commute can be an absolute killer, if you're not close.

  • Investor · Alpharetta, GA · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Hi Rafael, certainly East Cobb will be an excellent choice. I'm based in Alpharetta and have done a few transactions in East Cobb, as well as having a rental there. Walton will likely be the top ranked High School, and certainly the elementary schools will be very competitive in their rankings as well. Next, I would suggest Johns Creek. Now both of these areas will provide upscale homes in the 500-700k range.....and even higher for sure. May I suggest taking a look at the Rental availability and their prices in each of the areas you indicated....as that may be a significant factor in your final decision. I know you can see most of the MLS listings on the major sites (Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com), but if you need a detailed report for specific school districts downloaded direct from the FMLS here just PM me with your email and I can send whatever you need. Indeed, Atlanta OTP (outside the perimeter) is really spread out...all the best in the search.

  • Roswell, GA · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    Hi Rafael,

    Based on what you've  communicated it sounds like you would definitely be interested in the Johns Creek, Alpharetta, Milton possibly even Cumming (depending on where you will be working) as mentioned above. I personally live in Roswell and although I don't have children yet, I absolutely love the area and would definitely raise children here. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.