Advice Needed - Unusual Rental Property - Concrete Geodesic House

Advice Needed - Unusual Rental Property - Concrete Geodesic House

Property Manager · Palmetto, FL · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 11 votes

I have come across an unusual construction type I am not familiar with. I need some advice. A family friend has offered me a property that may be a great deal. It's in a major university town in Florida. She wants $47k for a 3/2, 1500sf, on 1 acre at the entrance to a subdivision of houses that sell in the mid to upper $200k range. Some houses in the subdivision are valued over $300k. The property is on a major city road indirectly located between a major university and a smaller college. Zillow estimates the house is worth $157k. I'm going to run some comps from the MLS tomorrow, but the construction type is unusual, so I'm not sure how useful the comps are. I would use it as a student rental property. If it was a conventional house, I could rent is for $1,200/month. I plan on paying cash. Sounds pretty good, right?

Now the property negatives. The house is a concrete geodesic dome house built in 1972. Even the carport/garage is a concrete done. I know very little about dome homes. I have heard they are strong and energy efficient, but other than that I know nothing. This house has been vacant for at least 3-4 years. Trees have grown up in the yard to the point you can’t even see the house from the road. The property appraiser just changed the parcel to a vacant lot. Since the house has been vacant so long I will be required to bring the electrical system up to current code before a new power meter is installed. The windows are original. I’m sure the kitchen, bathrooms, and all flooring will need to be completely redone. I’m going to see the inside of the house next weekend and estimate repairs costs (I don’t live in the same city as the house).

My questions are:

  • How difficult is it to work on a concrete dome house? I have experience with building/rehabbing stick frame homes.
  • Will I need a specialty contractor to rehab the house and bring it up to code? I’m not sure if any contractor is up to the job.
  • Will I be able to finance the house and pull my cash back out once the rehab is complete?
  • What is involved with getting the property appraiser to show the parcel has a house?
  • How much below market rent would I need to be to rent a geodesic dome home? I plan on making it look like a cute cottage, sort of like a hobbit house.
  • I’m told there may be a water leak in the living room. I didn’t think concrete homes would leak. What is involved with repairing a roof leak on a concrete dome home?

I think the lot is worth the asking price, but I’m not interested in knocking down the house and building a new house at this time. If the house can’t be rehabbed, I’ll pass on the deal. Any advice on dealing with a concrete geodesic dome house is appreciated.

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
9y

@Brad Bartlett , Unique is a 4-letter-word in real estate.

I'm happy to read you are passing. This home will be difficult to rent out and nearly impossible to sell. If homes in the area are going for $300k, that means nothing to this home, because a geodesic dome is a weird house. And weird equals long wait times to rent or sell.

I actually really like geodesic dome houses, but I'd never own one because I would never be able to sell it. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2015 · 398 posts · 147 votes
    9y

    I believe this type of home sometimes doesn't qualify as a regular property, and can't be brought up to code.  I have heard of people needing portfolio loans to finance these properties, it could be a tear-down if you can't get an occupancy permit due to the home type.  If they just classified it as a vacant lot and no structure that sounds quite bad to me.

  • Rental Property Investor · Traverse City, MI · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Speaking as an electrician I can't say I have experience with those homes. That being said I have to believe there was electrical installed in the wall building process. Is the floor concrete as well? If you need to update to modern code it may have to be all surface work( conduit etc.) This can be done to look well but keep in mind that turns it into commercial grade electrical which is much more costly. I would get a bid for that and then get bids for what it would cost to frame in some non-load bearing walls on top of the walls to act as a way to get new plumbing/hvac/electrical around the house . You may be able to do that cheaper than a bunch of surface mount trades. Hope I helped a little. I am sure there will need some upgrades but without knowing what is already there it is hard to give you more information. God speed!

  • Property Manager · Palmetto, FL · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    Thanks Russ and Kristopher. I'm going to pass on the house as a rental. I'm now looking into flipping it to a spec home builder I know. I believe the lot will be able to be split into two .5 acre lots which should be appealing to my builder friend.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    @Brad Bartlett , Unique is a 4-letter-word in real estate.

    I'm happy to read you are passing. This home will be difficult to rent out and nearly impossible to sell. If homes in the area are going for $300k, that means nothing to this home, because a geodesic dome is a weird house. And weird equals long wait times to rent or sell.

    I actually really like geodesic dome houses, but I'd never own one because I would never be able to sell it. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Traverse City, MI · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    There are plenty of fish in the sea!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.